Statue La Dansa Andorra la Vella

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Picasso2

Statue La Dansa Andorra la Vella

Post by Picasso2 »

Hi Mike
Could you please critique this drawing of a statue entitled "La Dansa" that we photographed in the quaint old town of Andorra la Vella. I did do some blending with a tortillon, but not sure whether this was the correct thing to do. Also, the dancers were actually supported on a plinth, but I wasn't sure whether I should include that in the drawing.
Looking forward to any comments and suggestions
Regards
Jean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Statue La Dansa Andorra la Vella

Post by Mike Sibley »

I haven't a lot to say about this, Jean, except...

It's delightful, emotive, and proportionally correct. Omitting the plinth was perfectly OK - it's your drawing - and it works in this instance. Another time that might look odd because it promotes the characters into being real people, which they might not appear to be. I hope that makes sense? :)

My only two criticisms are that the drawing itself is very soft. Possibly your blending has softened all the hard edges. And I'm not convinced blending was required at all. It's an often-over-used technique and best reserved for when its effect really helps - such as removing line from skies.

And I think your paper was too coarse to do your drawing justice. Its texture is quite pronounced and tends to dominate every area.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks Mike
Guess there is no way of correcting now that I have already blended??? Also what sort of paper do you recommend for this type of drawing.
As an aside, I get the impression that pastel or charcoal aren't you favourite mediums, but do you ever critique these works?
Regards
Jean

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Picasso2 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:03 amGuess there is no way of correcting now that I have already blended???
Nope. Well, maybe - it depends on how forcefully or gently you blended - but I'd consider this drawing done. Move on and maybe don't use blending in future unless its to create an actual effect.
Also, what sort of paper do you recommend for this type of drawing.
It's really a matter of personal preference. I prefer a super-smooth paper, such as my favoured Conqueror Diamond White, or any Strathmore that has smooth or plate-finish in its name - although Strathmore papers actually aren't smooth enough to please me. Basically, I dislike any paper that interferes with what I'm drawing. If I want little holes in my shading, or soft edges, or glossy surfaces that look like velvet... I want to have purposefully drawn them that way, and not had the paper make those decisions for me.
As an aside, I get the impression that pastel or charcoal aren't you favourite mediums, but do you ever critique these works?
It's true, I'm not a fan of messy mediums :) However, I will critique them for you - but only on their artistic content and not technique.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks for all the helpful comments, Mike. At some stage I will try drawing the dancers again, on HOT PRESS WITHOUT BLENDING!! as the subject did appeal to me and I was really impressed with how the sculptor handled it.
Regards
Jean