Wolf Not in Colorado Yet

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
rideum51

Re: Wolf Not in Colorado Yet

Post by rideum51 »

i think what may be missing is the transition between the layers. Seriously better

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Jay, I want to backtrack first - when you seemed to be drawing skin, and in disconnected patches.
JAY-Wolf -update1cu1.jpg
As I said previously, you'd drawn beautiful hair along the back. At 1 there's a lovely soft transition between the darker and lighter hair. And the light hair has the appearance of hair.

But at 2 the darker hair appears to slide under a solid patch of something. It even has a very sharp edge, so there's no disputing that it's "on top". Don't worry, I'm creeping up on your revision :)

The culprit is probably your reference, which is very short of sharp detail. And, unless you understand how hair behaves, it's really difficult to work out what you're seeing. Of all the Yellowstone Wolf photos I have, only one is laying. But this might help:
JAY-YellowStone-ref1.jpg
Wherever you look, you see hair. Even in the very light areas. I suspect you'll find something better to refer to for detail if you run an online search. Perhaps try Pixabay.com or Pexels.com to begin with.
JAY-Wolf -update1cu1.jpg
All that said, your update is a great improvement. Area 3 for example, is now definitely hair. However, you would expect to see the ends of layers of hair in there. And the face is still a collection of unconnected patches of value.
JAY-Wolf -update1cu2.jpg
This might help - same wolf, but I've over-sharpened the detail. ALL the form is described BY THE HAIR. But I think you're creating the form and hoping viewers will assume it's hair? They won't - honest :)

Using the hair to naturally describe the three-dimensional form is a laborious task, but well worthwhile. And having either a sharp reference, or a series of references that you can pull detail from, really does help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

JayS

Post by JayS »

HI Mike,
Thanks for the thoughts. Your comments really help. The following update does not take your comments into account but the next one will. I've been working on the background.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.