Cat WIP

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Laurene

Re: Cat WIP

Post by Laurene »

No one starts out knowing how to draw. It just needs time. I find that there is too much emphasis on so-called talent. Yes, some people may have a bit of an edge because they seem to have a natural ability, but honestly I think this does a disservice to the artist.

An artist like Mike has put many hours and days and years of practice and experience in order to be able to compose a scene and then to commit it to paper for all of us to enjoy! Like the musician who seems to play with such ease, there are many hours of practice that we never see or hear.

The point everyone is making though is that the journey should be enjoyable!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:49 pm The point everyone is making though is that the journey should be enjoyable!
Absolutely 100% in agreement.

It can become frustrating at times; when you struggle to achieve something - you can see it in your mind, but just can't quite reproduce it on paper.

But every time that happens, you're one step closer to achieving your goals. You can only learn by DOING. And the more you DO, the faster YOU LEARN.

And I should add to that LOOKING at the world around you to soak up everything into memory. That will happen in any case, because the more you draw, the more you can't help but look more and more closely at the World.

Enjoy every step of the way. And don't expect too much too soon.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

JayS

Post by JayS »

I was once told that a person can not see the progress they are making in a single work of art. But keep all your work and look back 5 drawings or paintings and you will be able to see your progress.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I agree with that - but it might take many more than five. That's why I always say, "never throw work away". You need it to judge your progress.

You also need it if, after 25 years, you suddenly decide to write a book. :D

Two days ago, I put two old 6"x4" photos together - one sepia and the other just of one end of the drawing - and managed to "save" a drawing I did years ago. It was a commission, so I obviously don't own the original. When you see a Border Collie and sheep towards the far back end of the next video... that's it. So, if you can't save the drawing, at least take a photo or two of it.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net