Stargazer Lily WIP

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
DanielG

Stargazer Lily WIP

Post by DanielG »

Drawn on Strathmore 500 series Bristol Plate

I have placed kitty in a pile of things not to do for the time being. I will reattempt him in the near future. The fur was baffling me. I thought maybe I turned to an easier subject with the stargazer lily, but I am finding that the gentle rolling of the leaves is causing a little trouble. I begin to think I am getting it, but I lose it between layers. Maybe I am making this to hard on myself, I should relax and see where the drawing takes me maybe?

I have included the reference image.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan Garwood

A Plane that comes down faster then it goes up has absolutely no resale value! - Zig Zigler

PogArtTi

Re: Stargazer Lily WIP

Post by PogArtTi »

DanielG wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:02 am I have placed kitty in a pile of things not to do for the time being. I will reattempt him in the near future.
Good lad!
I begin to think I am getting it, but I lose it between layers.
You aren't alone in this matter.
I'm very same.
Every time I'm thinking I've got it!-I'm suddenly getting off ;)
Maybe I am making this to hard on myself, I should relax and see where the drawing takes me maybe?
This is why we practicing - to find the sweet spot, between the professional skilled focus, and relaxing enjoyment of making something unique ;)

I'm impressed Dan looking at your flower!
If I compare it to the eye study, well, it's incomparable!
The shading is very effective, well executed, light and shadow making the curves nicely shaped...
Definitely follow this direction!

● Try the eye study again - but do it the way you do the flower!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

You like to stretch yourself, don't you, Dan? :D

This is a seemingly simple subject that's nowhere near as easy as it looks!
DAN-Lily-1.jpg
You're managing the shaping very well. And - apart from the bottom petal - your shading is mainly smooth.

My main impression is that you're trying too hard. And that you're possibly shading "values you can see" rather than shading it to expose the three-dimensional form. In other words, it's an exercise and not a Lily.

Take a look at: SHADE and BLEND A LILY.
I'm not saying that's how you should draw your Lily, but it is relaxed and built up lightly in layers.

But from a technical point of view, this is a good step in the right direction.

And that top-left petal has some remarkably excellent shaping! I keep being drawn back to admire it ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

DanielG

Post by DanielG »

Mike Sibley wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:19 pm You like to stretch yourself, don't you, Dan? :D

This is a seemingly simple subject that's nowhere near as easy as it looks!
It seems I do. I thought this would be a simple lily, that has turned into a LILY. If I can just remember like you said below its an exercise not a lily.
You're managing the shaping very well. And - apart from the bottom petal - your shading is mainly smooth.

My main impression is that you're trying too hard. And that you're possibly shading "values you can see" rather than shading it to expose the three-dimensional form. In other words, it's an exercise and not a Lily.

Take a look at: SHADE and BLEND A LILY.
I'm not saying that's how you should draw your Lily, but it is relaxed and built up lightly in layers.

But from a technical point of view, this is a good step in the right direction.

And that top-left petal has some remarkably excellent shaping! I keep being drawn back to admire it ;)
I will watch shade and blend a lily a couple more times and see if that helps me.
I am finding that my biggest problem is blending in a graduation. Everything I try shading comes out looking like stripes painted on a wall. I am working with the cylinder and Brenda's circle on draw space to see if I can get this down, so all my petals will hold your attention.

I can see that I am improving slowly, but none the less improving in areas and falling short in other areas. I will keep taking your advice and using it to make myself a better artist.
Thank you
Dan Garwood

A Plane that comes down faster then it goes up has absolutely no resale value! - Zig Zigler

DanielG

Post by DanielG »

PogArt wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:05 pm
DanielG wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:02 am I have placed kitty in a pile of things not to do for the time being. I will reattempt him in the near future.
Good lad!
I begin to think I am getting it, but I lose it between layers.
You aren't alone in this matter.
I'm very same.
Every time I'm thinking I've got it!-I'm suddenly getting off ;)
Maybe I am making this to hard on myself, I should relax and see where the drawing takes me maybe?
This is why we practicing - to find the sweet spot, between the professional skilled focus, and relaxing enjoyment of making something unique ;)

I'm impressed Dan looking at your flower!
If I compare it to the eye study, well, it's incomparable!
The shading is very effective, well executed, light and shadow making the curves nicely shaped...
Definitely follow this direction!

● Try the eye study again - but do it the way you do the flower!
thank you. This means a lot coming from you and I will place the eye study back in my list of things to do. I must finish the lilies first.
Dan Garwood

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Thank you for kind words Dan.
You're progressing very well.
I see you mention smooth shading struggle...?
Try to use something else to blend with, it may help you?
For example - the general cotton wool balls?
There's multiple ways to easy off blending.
Follow Mike's tutorials precisely too, you won't even realise when all the knowledge will kick you at your back 👍👍👍
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

DanielG wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:28 am I can see that I am improving slowly, but none the less improving in areas and falling short in other areas.
...and that is exactly what I'd expect. Every time you draw - with or without errors - you learn a little more.

In all likelihood, your improvement will creep up on you, almost unnoticed. That's why I always suggest you never throw anything away. You need the earlier work, or even exercises, to judge your current progress.

I think you'll also find occasional "milestone" pieces occurring. Drawings where you'll suddenly take a big step forwards.

Don't force it. Just draw and practice and it will eventually all come together.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

You are doing really well, and like Mike I'd like to encourage you to keep going. We are improving every time we draw.
One thing that I find really helpful is to mentally stop thinking 'I am drawing a lily' and focus on the tones and shapes of the subject. If I need to I may use a window mount to mask off the drawing so I am only seeing a small portion of it, focusing my attention on shapes rather than the concept of 'this is a petal'. Another thing I will do is draw upside down - reference upside down as well. This really can twist your brain to see better. And don't forget to look at it sometimes in a mirror, a mirror can often show you errors in construction. Some times you know something is 'wrong' but cannot see it, but a mirror will pick it up (and upside down in a mirror even more!)