Mr. Fritz

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Mr. Fritz

Post by Mike Sibley »

I'm a bit pressed for time today, Sandra, so I'll have to be a bit brief....
sandra-Fritz.jpg
1 : That shadow cast by the ear... that's what I was referring to in your Snow Leopard drawing, where the shadows were absent. Here, you used it wonderfully well to emphasise the edge of the ear. We can instantly see that the ear is tipped over and the tip is in front of the rear portion.

2 and 3 : This is something that is not noticeably wrong but you need to careful with in the future. Line 2 marks the angle of the eyes and, unless the dog is twitching its nose, all other features need to conform to that angle. Your nose and mouth (Line 3) are slightly tilted anti-clockwise. As I said, it's not very noticeable, but if the angles differed more, it would definitely be a problem.

4 : These two vertical lines mark where Mr Fritz's stop would be. That's where the muzzle rises up into the forehead, and where the two sinuses enter the head. The hair to both sides will fall into a valley and meet with the tear ducts in the eyes. What you've drawn isn't wrong but Fritz's' off-centre markings cause some confusion. I'm suggesting that if you emphasise the stop, we (the viewers) will understand where the centre between the eyes actually is, rather than the marking suggesting they are off to our right.

5 : Superb! Just keep doing what you're doing. The only way to draw white hair is to draw the shadows between the hairs. Actually, it's the only way to draw any hair but I haven't time to discuss that huge subject here :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Hi Sandra,
I like your work, you are making great progress with your animal drawing. One question I have for you, is your reference photo a flash photo? The dark shadow under the muzzle/chin and the lack of shadows that Mike mentioned seem to me to point to a flashed image. You need to be careful with many photos, even online ones, a strong light can create harsh shadows and flatten out other areas making it difficult for the artist to see detail.

Youv'e captured the eyes very well, and the floppy ear gives the dog real appeal. I think you have caught a lot of the soul and character of Mr. Fritz! Well done.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Nothing to add except to say that he's adorable! I adopted a senior cat (about 10 years old too) last year and it's the best thing I ever did. She fit right in at home from the very first day. These older animals still have a lot of love and devotion to give to the right owner.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

What helped me see light ans shadow better was to concentrate on smaller areas at a time. For example a dark coloured ear in shadow may seem to be all black at first, but if you break the ear down into sections you'll often see slight variations in value. Often those slight variations are all that's needed to give dimension and shape to these dark areas.