Blu-Tack questions

Your latest work is in print? You have an upcoming workshop? Your cat's had kittens... Tell us YOUR NEWS!
Shannon

Blu-Tack questions

Post by Shannon »

Hi,

I am in Canada and looking to purchase my first lot of Blu-Tack and I have a few questions.

1. It is -25C here today, is there a concern if this product freezes in the mail? Should I wait until spring before ordering?
2. Does the colour (blue or white) Blu-Tack make a difference?
3. How many 65 g packs is typically used to make a good size ball of tack for holding in the hand for erasing?
4. It is tempting to purchase this in bulk from overseas, how long does it stay fresh in the pack waiting to be used?
4. Have any Canadians or Americans out there tested out alternative brands more readily available from a local chain, like Staples? What worked/didn’t work?

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Blu-Tack questions

Post by Mike Sibley »

Shannon wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:55 pm I am in Canada and looking to purchase my first lot of Blu-Tack and I have a few questions.
Good idea. Fire away....... :)
1. It is -25C here today, is there a concern if this product freezes in the mail? Should I wait until spring before ordering?
Brrrrrrrrr!!!!!! :o :cry: :roll: I think all that will happen is... it will be hard - especially being unused. It becomes more malleable with age, use, and warmth. That's why I usually hold my Blu-Tack in my free hand while I'm drawing. It's slightly stickier when warm. But I don't think freezing will harm it all.
2. Does the colour (blue or white) Blu-Tack make a difference?
Blu-Tack was originally white. It was dyed blue to discourage children from eating it - although, in any case, it is non-toxic.
3. How many 65 g packs is typically used to make a good size ball of tack for holding in the hand for erasing?
One. If you ball up one full sheet, it fits comfortably in the hand. That's what I usually do, and then I'll pull a finger out from the ball to use (using the attached ball as a handle). If you're ordering from me, my minimum order is 3 packs - because it's not worthwhile for you to pay for the shipping for less. Blu-Tack will last a long, long time.
4. It is tempting to purchase this in bulk from overseas, how long does it stay fresh in the pack waiting to be used?
Indefinitely. I don't know what its chemical make-up is, but it doesn't appear to degrade. It goes harder (once unpacked) if you leave it for a few months - or years - but warmed up in your hands and kneaded, it's as good as it was when you put it down.
5. Have any Canadians or Americans out there tested out alternative brands more readily available from a local chain, like Staples? What worked/didn’t work?
I'm obviously not American... but Americans have sent me samples to try over the years - Tak'n'Stik, UHU's white tack, and so on. And none, so far, have quite matched up to Blu-Tack. That doesn't surprise me, because Bostik's Blu-Tack is the original product. And I'm assuming the clones can't copy it exactly, for reasons of copyright or patent infringement.

You can read more about it here: SibleyFineArt.com/blu-tack.htm.

I hope that helps, Shannon.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net