The Greeting

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
kwheller

The Greeting

Post by kwheller »

When entering a friends home to care for her cats, they come and greet me at the door as they weave around each other with some usually looking up at me. This picture is meant to capture the cats upon entering the darkened house as they come and greet the owner. Looking down on the cats was a challenging angle to draw. One of these cats has now died and another is ill with cancer. The owner wanted a picture depicting the four of them. The owner also has a thing for hearts so I tried to make one within the picture. This was drawn on Strathmore 500 Bristol plate surface with Staedtler leads. I really appreciate your input.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: The Greeting

Post by Laurene »

I see the heart and it’s a wonderful touch! Yes, the perspective is unusual but in fact, this is the view that all cat owners know so well! Well done!! Your friend will love it.

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Thank you so much Laurene. Yes, its definately the view we see as cat parents. I took a lot of photos of her cats from this angle to use as reference material which helped.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Hi dear, I am spending some delicious time enjoying your drawing.
Everything comes down to compliment the unique angle, and this is just the way we do look down to our pets!, so life alike, isn't it?
These four cats just been drawn perfectly, with their attitude shown exactly as everyone would have expect to be ;)
There is so much likeness involved into your drawing, and obviously THAT HEART ♡♡♡ it's an amazing cherry on the cake ;)
Well done kwheller ♡
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

PogArt wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:00 pm Everything comes down to compliment the unique angle, and this is just the way we do look down to our pets!, so life alike, isn't it?
Thanks so much. Your opinion means a lot to me. The unique angle kept getting redrawn and modified to try to capture it correctly. Ive lost count the number of photos and reference material I used trying to piece it together and capture that angle.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

kwheller wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:36 pm Ive lost count the number of photos and reference material I used trying to piece it together and capture that angle.
I only can imagine of how much effort did it cost you!
But then - if you've done it within a 5min, while having your morning coffee, and watching TV news instead of getting in focus... - this wouldn't be any special art to you at all, would it? ;)
The more your heart involved, the more time spent - the more proud you can be ;)
That matters!
Well done You.

I remember I've discussed with a workmate that everything cost a lot of money, and it takes long time to save, and buy what we want...
He went - yes, but imagine if you was a rich man, and could order online what you want - would you care for what you've bought, would you look after it?
He said - the more effort you put to get something, the more joy it gives you and happiness, because you will care for it then...

Well...
It comes in sense, isn't ;)
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

PogArt wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:23 am
kwheller wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:36 pm But then - if you've done it within a 5min... - this wouldn't be any special art to you at all, would it? ;)
The more your heart involved, the more time spent - the more proud you can be ;)[/i]
So well put! The effort does make it special. Thank you so much in pointing it out.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

;)
All the best ;)

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Usually I'd think, "Oh, no - an aerial view!!!". And, if it was a commission for me, I'd refuse it.

But you've done remarkably well! It really works on all levels. And it's not only perfectly captured that moment you mentioned, it's also a very pleasing and familiar composition for your client to enjoy.

Lovely!
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Mike Sibley wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:02 pm Usually I'd think, "Oh, no - an aerial view!!!". And, if it was a commission for me, I'd refuse it.

But you've done remarkably well! It really works on all levels. And it's not only perfectly captured that moment you mentioned,...
Thanks so much Mike! I must admit the composition with the aerial view was my idea with the thought that it would capture the moment. Little did I realize how difficult I would find that angle to draw. Between about 50 photos of her cats, some reference work, and staring down at my 5 cats, it took a lot of drawing and redrawing (and using Affinity Photo). Originally, I had put in two shoes with one slightly under the black cat to give the appearance of someone standing there. However, I thought it disrupted the flow of the cats so I took it out.
Thanks again for your encouraging words.