Playin' about with texture and tone

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
LindasPencils

Playin' about with texture and tone

Post by LindasPencils »

Just a little tone and texture exercise from a recent session with my students. A demo work of some granite rocks seen in Tasmania a month or so (before the Covid struck).
this is on A4 size Art Spectrum 220 gsm Hot Press drawing paper. Pencils used varied from F to 4B. Some indenting (dots and scratch lines) was used as well as a paper stump for blending. Hatching and F blend as well. About 2 hours give or take.
Cleft.jpg
'Cleft'. Hawley Beach Tasmania. Linda Weil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Re: Playin' about with texture and tone

Post by PogArtTi »

I'm just following those edges, curves, cracks, imperfections, irregularity of rocks nature...
Very interesting structures to play with.
This upload probably doesn't show the great effort, that was involved to make the rocks look like rocks, but I know the patience did pay off in here.
Thank you for share this study!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I’ve always had a soft spot for any kind of nature study like this Linda. I think that one of the great gifts of drawing is that it increases our ability to see beauty in our surroundings that would have otherwise gone unnoticed.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Thanks Pogs and Laurene. I was pleased with how this little work turned out, considering it was a 'demo' type thing. Quickly done to show different techniques.

JayS

Post by JayS »

These rocks look like they were in a stream bed rounded by the effects of water. Your mastery of the techniques is powerful.