Terrier

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Jo_Long

Terrier

Post by Jo_Long »

This is my second completed drawing – the first one was a draw along tutorial so this is my first attempt at going it alone! Please feel free to comment. My own thoughts are that I struggled with the white fur. I’d also anticipated applying a light grey shading to the background as in the reference photo but changed my mind at the end so the indenting that I did for the whiskers is still noticeable and doesn’t look great. My tapered stroke also needs some work. Considering I was never that great at art at school and haven’t drawn since, I didn’t think it was too bad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Re: Terrier

Post by PogArtTi »

It's a masterpiece to me.
Great attention to detail, understanding of shading, realistic looking picture, what else can I say?!
Very impressing drawing to me.
Congrats!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Jo_Long

Post by Jo_Long »

…thank you so much. It means a lot to have such positive comments. I’m hugely self critical so therefore never happy with what I do :roll:

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Jo_Long wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:42 am I’m hugely self critical so therefore never happy with what I do :roll:
All I'm seeing on my work - it's nothing but faults, lol!
It's very rare if I like my own piece of drawing 🙊🙉🙈
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Wonderful drawing, love the detail in his eye.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Jo_Long wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:42 am Considering I was never that great at art at school and haven’t drawn since, I didn’t think it was too bad.
Considering this is far from being an easy subject, I think you did remarkably well!
I’m hugely self-critical, so therefore never happy with what I do :roll:
Neither am I. Ever. Sometimes - six months down the road - I might see it as others see it and think, "Well, apart from that bit, I'm quite pleased with it.", but that’s as far as it goes. :D

However, you were so close to really pulling this off. That's not a criticism, but the reverse. You have a clear understanding of every part you are drawing. In a couple of places, I think you drew what you saw, rather than understood, but on the whole, it's a polished drawing.

Just keep drawing. Seriously - keep drawing, and the little things that make a big difference to the result will creep up on you unseen. For example - and this is not referring to this drawing - you are becoming detail-orientated, which is good if you're aiming at realism. Eventually, you'll reach a point where your detail is outstanding. Then you'll realise that it's now over-detailed, and learn how to back off in selected places. BUT you first have to go through what I call the "Detail is King" stage. It's unavoidable. :)

That's for later. Right now, you've nailed the character; you're thinking the right way; and you're beginning to tell a story rather than illustrate. All will come right in good time ;)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

you're beginning to tell a story rather than illustrate.
That’s high praise coming from Mike!! That’s the goal we all aim for! This is quite incredible for your second piece. As Mike said, just keep going and you can’t go wrong.

Jo_Long

Post by Jo_Long »

….I did read Mike’s post with my hands over my eyes peeking through my fingers just in case! Everyone has been so helpful and positive.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Jo_Long wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:41 am ….I did read Mike’s post with my hands over my eyes peeking through my fingers just in case!
:lol: We’ve all been there when we post for the first time! Don’t worry your rendering skills are really good! With Mike’s guidance you’ll enjoy drawing as you improve. Just be open minded and try to take in all of Mike’s observations and critiques.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Wonderful work - Mike and Laurene and Pogs and Rideum have said it all - nothing to add except to say how much I enjoy this work. Well done.