Yellowstone Wolf - Pastel Pencil

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
LindasPencils

Yellowstone Wolf - Pastel Pencil

Post by LindasPencils »

Canines in Pastel Pencils was the theme I set for this terms' drawing classes.
I wanted to do a wolf, but the images I had were not great, too far away and blurry. However, when I asked Mike, he kindly offered a few of his images that he had taken in Yellowstone a few years back.
THANK YOU MIKE.
This is the demonstration work I created along with my class (until a Covid lockdown stopped classes). It has been drawn on an A3 sheet of Art Spectrum Color Fix Smooth 'Blue Haze' tone. I used primarily Carbethello pastel pencils with one or two of the light and dark umber Staedtler pastel pencils as well as a soft white Rembrandt pastel stick.
You can see a wip on my blog: lindaweilfineart.blogspot.com
...but here is the completed piece- a slightly out of focus photo...
WolfDWM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Yellowstone Wolf - Pastel Pencil

Post by Mike Sibley »

You've really captured the essence of the wolf.

I love seeing them at Yellowstone - twice now.

Although they are captive, the officials take great pains to ensure the public don't interact with them in any way. So they behave quite naturally.

The raised viewing has a deep ditch in front, then the land rises, so you can take eye-level photos. I had a 50-500mm zoom lens, so I got good close-ups.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

What always gives me chills when I’ve seen timber wolves (in captivity) is the intelligence in their eyes. They have a way of looking right through you. You captured that look here Linda.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:45 pm What always gives me chills when I’ve seen timber wolves (in captivity) is the intelligence in their eyes. They have a way of looking right through you. You captured that look here Linda.
Agreed! :) I remember a dog trainer saying that German Shepherd/Wolf crosses are useless. In order to train or work with a dog, you have to have a connection. But wolves, he said, simply look straight through you. There's no way you can train anything containing wolf.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

That’s very true Mike. They may become accustomed to a particular person, but that doesn’t mean they can be controlled the way a dog can. They retain their wildness. I once knew someone who had a German shepherd / coyote cross. I love all animals and not much frightens me but this coyote-dog was very frightening. This type of experimentation is unnecessary and cruel, in my opinion.

Shmush

Post by Shmush »

This really has character, that intense stare really makes it. Adding to the wolf/dog discussion. there is a wolf sanctuary in our area Pennsylvania, USA. They say the worse ones to deal with are the crossbred dog/wolf combination. it seems they have a split personality, they act like a dog until the wolf part takes over.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Shmush - similar problem with the Dingo over here. Cross bred are often lovely animals, but unpredictable. And have a tendancy to worry sheep and cattle. Wild dogs are big problem and many are dingo/domestic crosses.

thank you all for looking.

qwert6

Post by qwert6 »

A beautiful Pastel drawing! I love the posture and your color choices are very inviting. I'm never sure what to do with backgrounds, but your idea in this drawing is lovely.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Wolves are my favourite animals since I remember...
Beautiful study of wolf in pastel dear Linda!
Lovely pose, colour, the somehow special attitude.., that's coming out of your drawing...

I do remember TV documentary, where wolf and dog puppies were compared.
One thing I remember well, that the dog puppies intuitionally did follow the direction of an index finger, that was pointing the bowl ...
Where wolves didn't pay attention to the finger at all!
It was obvious they don't interact with the human whatsoever...
Wolves are so intelligent, working together, cooperating, supporting each other...
Dog's for example don't.
Yes, two dogs will do fight wolves, but if one dog is jammed in the fight, the other dog will not try to help, but rather will stay aside, barking off at safe distance...
Very strange, of how they are similar, but how different at the same time...
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*