Winter Mist

EXHIBITION ONLY. Post your Graphite Pencil masterworks here!

Moderator: ElaineH

ElaineH

Winter Mist

Post by ElaineH »

7DB5EC22-C112-4399-98A3-36C43D3D7391.jpeg

I only usually attempt realistic animal portraits, so a drawing of this style has been a new challenge...and one which I have really enjoyed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Winter Mist

Post by Mike Sibley »

Elaine, that's simply gorgeous!

There's nothing I don't like about it - but plenty that I do! From the upright post that break the monotony of the fenceline, to the dark and sharp bottom-right foreground bush that really adds punch to the recession.

And, apart from all that, it's just a lovely misty Winter scene. It's so perfectly evocative, I could be looking across the fields behind my studio.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Thank you very much Mike - I am so pleased you like it!!... Compared to pet portraits it almost seemed too simple. I had to keep stopping myself from adding more detail than was necessary! and.. to be honest the stream appeared because my original plan of drawing a line of footprints in the snow went completely wrong! Cant wait to see more of your videos in 2020

Very happy New Year to you and Jenny.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I love it for its simplicity. Being largely empty I can roam around at will. I keep noticing that tall post - it was a masterly inclusion. It seems to subtly divide foreground from background, and it breaks through the horizon. Without it, the fence seems to be too long and loses much of its interest.

Something I forgot to mention previously is the way the stream has naturally undercut the snow. Also, there are what I take to be footprints on either side of the stream. My first thought was that I don't envy whatever made the prints to the left - because they've got three choices: climb over the fence, jump over the stream, or follow it to the sea :D

Everything considered, I think you've succeeded in everything you set out to do, including your Plan B stream ;). That high fence post I've mentioned, and the sharp foreground bush. Then there's a midground bush and trees that very quietly draw my eye back and connect the expanse of snow to the trees in the mist. Everything is entirely natural and just feels... right.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

This is great Elaine. All I can say is (as we face a 37c day here today) ... brrrr! wish I could step into this winter scene for a few minutes and cool down.

Did you use paper stumps?
And may I show this to my Camp Creative class as an excellent example of Graphite landscape drawing? please?

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Oh, I love this Elaine! It's a perfect Christmas card. The fact that Mike is telling himself a story about who or what just passed through your landscape is proof that your composition works. It tells a story!!

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Hi Linda and Laurene. Thank you both very much. I have to say I was very very pleased with Mike's response!- it is extremely motivating. I would like to do my own Christmas cards next year, maybe of some local views as I am lucky enough to live amongst some lovely scenery.

Linda, I like to be warm, but think I would struggle with 37 degrees!. Yes, I did use blending stumps quite a lot in this, and also blu-tak. You are more than welcome to show it to your class, and I am very flattered that you think it is worth showing. thank you