People who only believe what they see would find this frustrating

Welcome to our comfy Lounge - fetch a coffee and plump yourself down on a sofa. This is the place to get to know each other and discuss any subject, art-related or not.
Shmush

People who only believe what they see would find this frustrating

Post by Shmush »

Since all of us on this forum are probably visual learns others might find this visual illusion and it’s accompanying explanation interesting

https://www.theverge.com/2016/9/12/1288 ... black-dots

Laurene

Re: People who only believe what they see would find this frustrating

Post by Laurene »

Very interesting but quite easy for me to believe. I have been losing vision in my right eye. Corrective lenses cannot compensate, so I see well with my left eye when wearing my glasses but I see very poorly with my right eye. At first, this would lead to daily monstrous headaches and I eventually gave up drawing. Just reading was a challenge and I would use an app which read text on my iPad. Now, as the article explains, my brain has learned to compensate. It seems to fill in what my right eye can’t actually see. I have started drawing again and reading comes much more easily. How our brain affects what we perceive is truly amazing.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Shmush wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:41 pm ...might find this visual illusion, and it’s accompanying explanation interesting
I certainly do! And my first reaction was:
"Miss, Miss, hey Miss... I know the answer, Miss!" :D

But I was wrong :oops:

I'm well aware that if you focus on a single star at night, it will disappear (or another star close to it will). That's because it hits your retina where the optic nerve is attached - so, no sight at that point. But then, I suppose your illusion is connected, because our brains do fabricate vision for that spot - so we don't see the blank spot.

At most, I can see two dots in your illusion - and only if I look between the two and draw my focus away from the grid.

Quite fascinating! Thanks!

Oh, a hint I keep meaning to mention. Here at DWM, if you click a link to an external page, it will replace the DWM page. That cannot be avoided, owing to the software we use. However, on a PC (I don't use Macs) hold down the CTRL key as you click the link and it will open in a new tab, or a new browser window, depending on your set-up. Then you can just close that tab to return to where you were at DWM.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:06 pm I have been losing vision in my right eye. Corrective lenses cannot compensate, so I see well with my left eye when wearing my glasses, but I see very poorly with my right eye.
I'm not quite going down that road yet, but I do have a bunch of floaters in my left eye that I find really distracting - especially when trying to swat flies in flight, because I never know whit blob is the fly :) However...
Now, as the article explains, my brain has learned to compensate. It seems to fill in what my right eye can’t actually see.
The same appears to happen to me. Or similar, at least. Some of my video animations have to be pixel-perfect, and I've found, when checking playback, that I can spot odd pixels and I can completely ignore the floaters. I know they're there, because I can easily bring them back into view, but it still amazes me that I can see through that mess, totally ignore it, and spot the slightest aberration in the graphics.
How our brain affects what we perceive is truly amazing.
I agree! Absolutely!
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net