Serengeti Siesta WIP

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Picasso2

Serengeti Siesta WIP

Post by Picasso2 »

I used Stabilo Carbothello pastel pencils on Art Spectrum Colorfix paper for this drawing of a sleeping lion, from a photo that my husband took when we were on a safari trip in Africa some years ago.
Any suggestions as to what else needs to be done or altered (if possible) would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
Jean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Serengeti Siesta WIP

Post by Laurene »

Hi Jean. I can’t offer any advice as I don’t usually work in colour, but I wanted to drop in to say that you captured that luxurious pose that all cat lovers recognize instantly! As a lifelong insomniac, I can only look on with awe and a little touch of jealousy :D . Well done!!

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks Laurene.
From your post I can see that you are a fellow cat lover and so can relate. He/she looks beautiful, by the way . I can't believe how close we got to this guy, without him even appearing to notice. In their actions and poses they really are just like big domestic cats, though I wouldn't have wanted to try to pat him!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

It's very inspiring drawing dear Jean!
He's relaxation is overwhelming my mind already 😊
It's interesting I'm watching your pastels drawing right now ...
It's because the facebook did notify me of my past pastel drawing of my wife recently...
I've been looking at the portraiture many times already, and the longer I look up, the more I like it, what is tempting me to use pastels again?
Nevermind.
Your lion is amazingly drawn, so realistic, so alive, and it does spreads out the positive, relaxing mood, and I do enjoy it a lot!
Congratulation!
Especially if this is the photo,that you did take on your trip - wow!

[Lol - I've found the PastelMat paper I kept for years unused, since I dropped pastels fewer years ago...
I've placed the order for pastel pencils then...
YES, I can't stop myself, just got that feeling of putting a bit of colour in my arts 😉]
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

This is very good Jean! Love the soft feel of the fur, makes me want to give him a cuddle. You have captured the pose well and used the pastel pencils to good effect, mixing and layering to create depth.

- you have already added a lot of white, but you could add a few brighter white highlights here and there where the sun strikes the top of the lion using a soft white pastel stick, not really needed, but you could do a few more ultra whites here and there.

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks Linda for your helpful comments and I will add some more pastel highlights as you suggest. I agree he did look so peaceful and cuddly, just like a big family cat, but certainly wouldn't recommend trying to cuddle him!

Thanks also, Pogart for your kind comments and yes, my husband took the photo when we did a trip to Africa many years ago. I was amazed that we could get so close to this lion (of course in a safari vehicle). He was sleeping so peacefully, that he wasn't even aware that we were there!
I'm afraid I missed seeing your portrait of your sister, when you posted it, but have just gone back and looked at it. You definitely are capturing her likeness and the sort of personality I imagine she would have. Well done and I'm glad that you are inspired to try pastel. I look forward to seeing the result.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Picasso2 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:21 pm I'm afraid I missed seeing your portrait of your sister, when you posted it, but have just gone back and looked at it. You definitely are capturing her likeness and the sort of personality I imagine she would have. Well done and I'm glad that you are inspired to try pastel. I look forward to seeing the result.
Please don't be bothered you've missed any of my drawings, because we are all busy, I do missing others arts frequently!
I keep promusing to myself - I will check it out later - but then I'm forgetting 😉
It must be amazing to watch wild animals at so close distance, no through any metal made fence, or glass (Zoo's)...
I don't like going Zoo anymore.
I feel sorry I'm human, as those animals are prisoned because if us...
I did draw with pastels couple of years ago, so it's not new media to me, but I just have this CALL inside of me telling me to enjoy it again 😉
Thank you for keen words regarding my drawings Jean.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*