Blackfoot Tribe Bear Bull

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
rideum51

Blackfoot Tribe Bear Bull

Post by rideum51 »

I have become fascinated with Native American people. This is a member of the Blackfoot Tribe from around 1913. The drawing took about 15 hours. This is the first time I've tried to upload something lets hope it works. Critique would be appreciated.
Blackfoot Tribe Bear Bull20191224_11024664-001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Blackfoot Tribe Bear Bull

Post by Mike Sibley »

Essentially, this is looking splendid. Indeed, there's only one aspect that I think can be improved upon.

In my opinion, what's missing is depth and detail within the shadows. I'm assuming this was drawn from a reference photograph - either digital or film. And that the absence of detail is simply because you couldn't see it. There are a couple of solutions:

First, drastically lighten the photo if it's digital, which will expose detail within the shadows. And if it's a film photograph, hold it up close to desklamp or other light source, so the light shines through from behind. That has the same effect - it lightens the darks and exposes the detail. I've even done that by holding the photo against a window on a bright sunny day.

Second, ignore the reference and ask yourself "what do I expect to see in there?"

The skin and the facial modelling are superb. But you lose depth in the shadows, and damage the sense of reality too.

There are three areas that trouble me: The shade beneath the topknot of hair. The hair has good three-dimensional form, but that's lost because the base has no recession - just a flat area of dark shading. And that "flat" is the cause of the problem. A similar problem exists in the shadow cast by the hair on the neck. It has a distracting and unnatural darker outline around its top, and it doesn't attempt to suggest the form of the neck, or the change in plane below the tooth(?) necklace. And the same applies to the eye. It has a bright highlight but no indication of the curvature of the eyeball, which is glossy and would surely reflect some light even if very subtly?

The attention to detail in the braid is absolutely delightful, especially the fly-away ends of hairs; and the skin with its pores, and creases that each catch a highlight along one edge, are super. For me, it's pulled down to a lower level by the flat shadows.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Your absolutely right about those shadows. the photo was digitized from a 1913 photo which didn't have any detail in those areas. But as you suggested I should have tried to create detail in those areas. Next time thanks

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

That braid is wonderful! In fact I like this entire piece a lot. I tend to agree with Mikes critique regarding the shadows and depth. When I draw from a photo I have to consistantly remind myself to 'draw the animal/person, not the photo'. It can be tricky. Observation of real life is the best teacher - if you ever have the chance to attend a life portrait class do try it. The lessons learned there are invaluable when you later draw from a photographic reference.

All the same, this is an emotive work.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I agree with Mike and Linda that the braid is wonderfully done. I also think that you really nailed the skin texture. I'm quite impressed at the level of detail too, especially considering that the paper seems to be textured. Thanks for sharing!