Serval

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
LindasPencils

Serval

Post by LindasPencils »

As I asked Picasso2 (Jean) to post her limited palette lion drawing, I thought I might show mine as well which was the demonstration I worked through with this group.
4 colors were used in the Staedtler Karat watercolor pencils (dry), #63 blue, #16 yellow ochre, #49 dark yellow ochre and #222 peach. To create the grey tones Staedtler 2mm techno pencils in 2H, HB, 2B and 4B with assistance from an F 'woodie'.
The fun and beauty of this technique is that it teaches you how to use your color pencils in a more creative way. Instead of trying to 'match' a color (which is impossible) it teaches you how to either create a hue, or even ignore it and use something else. As well you discover how flat and dull browns, greys and some greens are in your color pencil set.
No black or brown was used in this drawing - but the blacks were created by layers of blue and graphite, and the browns in the yellows and graphite. It is amazing the results you can achieve with a minimalist approach! As Mike has said in the past - "sometimes color just gets in the way"... but you don't have to toss your cp's, just learn to live with less.
Serval_DWM.jpg
This drawing has actually taken about 6 years to complete...!... it was always intended as a progressive workshop demonstration piece. So over the years in each workshop or class an eye would be done, or negative drawing in the ear shown, indenting, color layering, creating cool blacks with blue and graphite, etc. But she is finally completed!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Re: Serval

Post by PogArtTi »

It's beautiful example dear Linda of how to blend colours to achieve all sort of different ones!
It's reminding me my learning curve, when I was using limited palette in oils, to learn that lesson and practice, and then I have replied it when study digital painting as well.
Well.
It was so easy and tempting to simply match the exact colour on Corel Painter software instead of mixing it, but I regret it.
I needed to learn of how to mix colours, instead of going short way...
Very nice drawing Linda, and interesting to know how you did create it with limited palette.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*