No Line Raven Flight

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
JayS

No Line Raven Flight

Post by JayS »

Greetings,
In one of my previous posts Mike commented that I should leave out the lines. This is something that I have been thinking about. Further Mike said that I should use values to separate parts of the drawing. I hope I understand that suggestion correctly. This image is one drawn without lines. Values are used to separate feathers and other parts of the drawing. What an interesting exercise! This drawing is 11X14" on Cranston drawing paper. Pencils used are 2H HB and 5B.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: No Line Raven Flight

Post by Mike Sibley »

I've powered up my patented ACME MkIV Super-Nuclear-Line-Detector... and...

No Outline! None. Nada. Zilch. It's most disappointing, because now I've got to be complimentary :D

Seriously, it is a huge improvement. The only line I can see is on top of the claw, and it's perfectly acceptable in that situation - in that, it doesn't read as being "false".

If you need to use outline, because there is no other solution (perhaps, a white edge against white paper) then use a "lost and found" line. Break it up and taper the ends of each section. That will expose the edge, lead the eye around, and not appear to be a line.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

JayS

Post by JayS »

Thanks Mike. Progress.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Wonderful progress! Eliminating line is the hardest thing - I still fall into the trap of 'outlining' and have to smack myself.
Of course, when using ink (as I am at the moment) you can't stop yourself. lol.

but this is a great work. I would suggest that the back wing could possibly be a bit darker tonally near the body to help push it back a bit more and bring the lighter front wing a bit more forward and prominent.

JayS

Post by JayS »

Interesting idea about the back wing. I'll take a look at it.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

JayS wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:18 pm This image is one drawn without lines. Values are used to separate feathers and other parts of the drawing. What an interesting exercise!
Congratulations !!!
Yes, it isn't easy to forget outlines, but it is how we improve our understanding of making the art 😊
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Excellent! And one of my favourite birds too!