Little Owl

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
kwheller

Re: Little Owl

Post by kwheller »

Phewwwww! Close call! This really DOESN'T need colour. It wouldn't add anything to our understanding, or your story. And it might (probably would) be an unwelcome distraction.
I agree! Thanks so much for your feedback! The person who commissioned it just picked it up yesterday and was thrilled. All the feedback really helped. Thanks so much!

JayS

Post by JayS »

You have done a wonderful job improving the owl. There is one thought that I'd share. Before you begin, consider your paper. I've been drawing for years on Strathmore professional drawing paper, plate finish. Then I got stuck far from my favorite art store and needed paper. Walmart was selling a Canson double-sided drawing paper. It was 90 lb with smooth on one side and rough on the other. As it was the best choice available, I purchased a pad. This Canson paper really picked up the darks in graphite. Maybe 4 or 5 times darker than the Strathmore. When it comes to taking values, paper matters.

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

JayS wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:27 pm . This Canson paper really picked up the darks in graphite. Maybe 4 or 5 times darker than the Strathmore. When it comes to taking values, paper matters.
Thanks so much for your comment about paper. I keep trying different ones since value is so important. I appreciate your suggestion!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Dear Linda and Mike have already shared their thoughts, so you got best feedback in your pocket 😊
I can add only, that I'm impressed with the tree bark texture!
Very nicely achieved natural look to me...
The owl is very nice too Kath...
I have nothing more to add regarding advice, as most things are already discussed in here 😉
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

PogArt wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:03 pm I can add only, that I'm impressed with the tree bark texture!
Very nicely achieved natural look to me...
Thanks so much for your comment about the tree bark. I returned to drawing several years ago and started back by drawing a lot of trees! Its just so much fun!
I did wonder if I should bring out the tree bark more, but left it alone. Thanks for your feedback, PogArt! I always enjoy hearing from you. Love your art work!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Love your art work!
It's so kind of you really 😊
I'm opposite - I never like my arts, well, some more than others, but always picking up the faults first, so it blocks me off to fully appreciate my efforts 😉
So I have You 😉
Thank you 😁
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*