Morning, Buck

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Morning, Buck

Post by Mike Sibley »

JayS wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:33 pm The foreground trees on the left set the near distance. The trees behind the elk set the background. They should be lighter, and with less definition. As you are doing in this drawing. IF you made the foreground darker, it would give the drawing more depth.
I almost mentioned that earlier... but then I decided I really like the drawing as it is.

But, I do agree. The mid-tones are missing, so there's little solidity, and that affects the appearance of recession.

So - with the understanding that I LIKE the drawing as it is - I think the over-exposed reference photo is at fault. When that's corrected (well, my version of "corrected")...
rideum-elk-ref.jpg
Now there's recession. The left-hand tree stands forward of the Elk; The Elk is dominant; and the trees and foliage degrade and lighten with distance. And I like the way those three left-hand trees lead my eye into the scene and directly to the Elk - and that nothing on the right-hand side is a distraction in any way - yet I can explore if I want to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net