Mustang Round Up

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
RobB

Re: Mustang Round Up

Post by RobB »

Great drawing the dust is wow executed so well

Rob

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I've been terribly indecisive about posting a comment on this. That's because one thing bothers me but everything else works superbly well. But I keep getting drawn back to it and that "one thing" remains.

So, here's the "It's only his opinion" point, and you can stop reading... :roll:

Still here? OK...

The grass and ground - superbly drawn! The dust - I can feel it in my lungs. The lighting - I can feel the heat of the sun on my face. The horses - absolutely realistic with super movement, except for...

Except for their heads. For want of a better description, they are box-shaped. Very angular. And two things catch my eye. The first is the very flat area between ears and nose - the top of the muzzle. That's reinforced by the sharp angular change in direction down the side of the muzzle. All the horses appear to have the same head with that very angular appearance.

And they all have a very light "eyebrow" above the eye. That might be a device to attract attention, by generating maximum contrast, or a means of describing the wide eye of a panicking horse, in which it succeeds. But it's too prominent, a distraction, and unreal.

That's not to say that the rest is not spectacularly good. I love, for example, the hints of rock face behind the dust that set the scene and perfectly balance the composition. And the sense of movement running throughout the drawing.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Mike thanks for the comment. I always appreciate a constructive critique. after reading your comment re the similarity of their heads I agree that they should be somewhat dissimilar but still fearful and in panic mode. Some of them should have their ears pinned back, maybe one should be looking back over his shoulder to gage the threat. Things to think about.

JayS

Post by JayS »

The overall impression of this work is wonderful. The atmospherics are terrific. Here in Northwestern Colorado we are in the greatest drought in history. And riding across the ranch is just like the experience of this art. There is true magic in here.

JayS

Post by JayS »

A little note about the black horse. His hind quarters look just a little flat. Still great work.