Babe in the Woods

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
rideum51

Babe in the Woods

Post by rideum51 »

Babe in the Woods final1 20210917_09543809.jpg
"Babe in the Woods" Just cant get away from drawing cowboys and cowgirls at work.
My next challenge, is Mike's Challenge. He has shown me, us, what patience can achieve. 38 hours spent on his example, that is dedication and or just what it takes to achieve a great drawing.
See you all in 38 hours, I'm going to time myself and keep going if I finish before or just quit at 38 hours wherever I'm at.
Wish me luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Babe in the Woods

Post by Mike Sibley »

My first thought was that the focus is definitely the calf.

The second, that its white face certainly attracts my attention, but it could have at least some detail or texture and be toned down slightly. It's a little too stark and looks rather mask-like at present. In other words, it looks a little too obvious.

I've just realised the calf's head is also perfectly positioned on a Rule-of-thirds hotspot. Perfect!

And my third, that it's a very busy drawing... and I really like it for that. It forces me to look around to gain understanding, and that perfectly reflects the ensuing mayhem.

Regarding the BUTTERFLY PROJECT... I'm thinking of creating a GROUP PROJECTS forum for... well... group projects, such as this, to keep everyone's work together. It would also, of course, be a good place to post part-completed drawing if assistance is required. Again, it would keep everything in one place.

If you disagree, just post as usual. Otherwise, let me know, and I'll set it up.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

I agree, it's a good idea.
I never realized how hard it was to draw a darn, lol, leaf. I started by trying to ignore your drawing, that lasted a very short time. Hopefully as I progress I'll have a better understanding.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

rideum51 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:02 pm I never realized how hard it was to draw a darn, lol, leaf. I started by trying to ignore your drawing, that lasted a very short time. Hopefully as I progress, I'll have a better understanding.
For best results, I suggest you use the foreground as supplied and create your own background. For you to get lost in it, and feel the need to create more foliage here and there, it needs to be your world, not mine.

On the other hand, if my leaves help you to draw yours, then that's useful.

Personally, I'd begin somewhere deep in the background. That way you can experiment until you get a feel for drawing leaves. And those background leaves won't need much, or any, detailing - just suggestions of form.

I'll create a PROJECTS forum this evening.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

rideum51 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:33 pm I'm going to time myself and keep going if I finish before or just quit at 38 hours wherever I'm at.
Wish me luck.
~ Good Luck from me !!!

You know, there's nothing wrong sticking up to one subject matter at all.
I know many artists that do only flowers, or pets, or horses etc - all the time!
Nothing wrong with that!
Our Mike is well known artist of ... dogs ;)
Everybody loves Mike and his arts!!!
(Sorry Mike for pointing you out in here, but in very POSITIVE matter!!!)
Just carry on drawing what you feel for, and enjoy your beautiful arts!!!
Like this one ...
I do enjoy watching every each your drawing, all the time! - nothing wrong with me ;) ;) ;)
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Thanks Pog, I always appreciate your comments and especially your drawings. Your last Portrait was stunning. I have always been a competitive person so flowers and butterflies it is for now.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

rideum51 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:17 pm I always appreciate your comments and especially your drawings.
And I do appreciate yours - thank you 😉
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

JayS

Post by JayS »

Your comment abut taking 38 hours hits home. My first drawing was a 40 hour project. The surprising thing was that when I was done I wanted to do more, and my son didn't call my Bald Eagle an Aardvark anymore. More importantly I watched an artist drawing at an art fair. He said to me that an hour of looking was worth an hour of drawing. Happy pencil work.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

This one is pretty special!
btw, I stopped timing myself years ago. The work takes as long as it takes. If you focus too much on 'how long' you can drive yourself to despair... especially when you sell the piece and realize you are working for diddly squat an hour!
forget about the stop watch and just enjoy the process.