Owls

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Boblines

Owls

Post by Boblines »

Could not resist "having a go" with this image of three nestlings. The inherent owlish "stare" is, unavoidable since the bird has a very narrow field of view with very little peripheral vision. They also see things primarily in monochrome.

The subject matter was difficult to render relying entirely on texture and tone. Being brave enough to go as dark as the image warranted was the hard part.
I experimented with indenting on successive levels of tone in the attempt to capture some "depth" in the undeveloped fledgling feathers. Not the best but good enough to offer up for some constructive critique.

Always happy to learn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Owls

Post by Laurene »

I do love the subject matter as I find owlets very endearing. Their down can be very challenging though. I very rarely use indenting because I find it difficult to control, so I can’t offer much advice on that subject. One method I do like which I’ve seen Mike use is to indent using a very sharp hard lead. I never use anything harder than a 2H except when indenting. Then I’ve used a sharpened 6H. You have to experiment with your paper though because it can actually damage the paper surface.

Boblines

Post by Boblines »

I agree Laurene. Indenting is problematic, not least because it is hard to keep track of the marks made by the stylus. The effects not truly visible until revealed by the overlaying graphite. Here I used ( experimentally) a selection of knitting needles and was reasonably happy with the results and they did not damage the paper (300gm HP)and gave a variety of thicknesses. It is rather overdone I feel but the experiment was worth the effort. Nothing ventured. Nothing gained they say.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I do appreciate your beautiful drawing as well!
I'm impressed with the attention to details, you have a great patience drawing those subtle pieces of the trunk, or detailed feathers of beautiful owls 👍👍👍
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Boblines wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:49 am It is rather overdone, I feel, but the experiment was worth the effort. Nothing ventured. Nothing gained, they say.
It's only "overdone" because you know it's there. Anyone else would see it for what it - flyaway bits of down.

I've used this technique myself for a Poodle's topknot, where I indented wavy random lines before drawing. They broke up my lines as I drew the hair and created the wispy ends. And, as Laurene mentioned, try indenting with a hard grade of lead too (see: GRAPHITE INDENTING).

I use a very sharp 8H that I keep just for that purpose. It gives a fine line that is already toned down. Experiment with it first, but it gives excellent results.

Also, if you try it, do have a hard and smooth surface under your paper. To work successfully, you want no "give" in the paper at all.

As for your owls... the bark texture is excellent, and the owls are almost alive ;)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Boblines

Post by Boblines »

Thanks Mike. I shall rush to shop in village and buy an 8H, keep it sharp and think of you each and every time it touches the paper. Am now ducking over to "Graphite Indenting" in anxious anticipation of some further valuable discoveries. BTW my desk is an old drafting table (circa 1970) covered with a sheet of 3mmm MDF giving me a sound solid surface. Thanks too for the compliment. But you must take some credit - much of the work is down to you!

Boblines

Post by Boblines »

Hey Mike

I also take heart from your comment " It's only "overdone" because you know it's there." Of course!!

Shmush

Post by Shmush »

Bob,
A lot to admire in this picture. I especially like the birds feet and the wonderful detail in the bark.
Indenting is problematic
It is not only problematic, but I also think how and when we use it is very individualized. Artist Lisando Pena from Canada seems to be able to get good results using indenting for creating fur. He has a few on line tutorials, but his explanations leave me with just a general idea of what he is doing, nothing which helps me understand HOW he gets such realistic results by using the technique.

I have experimented with mechanical pencils (for fine lines). Also, I have done some embossing drawing (white on parchment paper). They make special tools for that, the tool points vary in size, some finer than the tip of a pen. So have experimented with those as well. Has anyone else tried using actual paper embossing tools?

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Has anyone else tried using actual paper embossing tools?
not me - but I have used some dental instruments! lol. I don't indent a lot, but occasionally will use for white whiskers and the like. As I like drawing from hard to soft pencils generally this means I do a lot of graphite pencil indenting first I guess.
I like your composition Bob, and you have captured the owlets staring pose well. Nice work.
Baby Boobooks?

JayS

Post by JayS »

When I saw your owls I just grinned. What fun. I did wonder what would happen if you increased the contrast by adding more dark around the edges of the birds?