Free hand study...

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Re: Free hand study...

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: ↑Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:54 am Will you give him black whiskers?
I think it's a must, because otherwise I won't be able to make them lighter πŸ€”
TBH I wasn't thinking about whiskers yet, but yeah, they will be black, darker than the fur around πŸ‘
It was meant to be drawn in two/three days, but because of my random working hours, I'm skipping day or two 🀘🀠
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

I think this looks lovely, The fur is so soft. It could already work as a finished piece with just the addition of whiskers. I have also tried a charcoal drawing....not sure what I think about it yet.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

ElaineH wrote: ↑Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:53 pm I have also tried a charcoal drawing....not sure what I think about it yet.
You might be already aware I did fewer charcoal attempts... I forgot if you did follow it my friend?
Look at ;
OTHER MEDIA ARTWORK
The cat - charcoal sketch
Yes it was meant to be loose exercise ONLY, so I didn't care too much, I was just making some random strokes to shape the subject and fill it up with some form, that's it...
I never liked the final too much, just not my style.
But it was kind of interesting to not care too much about detailed work πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹
I lost interest to do it, it wasn't what I thought it might be πŸ€”
It was fun, I'm sure about it, but not an art in this matter I think, not the art that I could be proud of...
Thank you for keen words πŸ˜‰
I couldn't manage to work on it since this update, just can't wait for tomorrow - a day OFFFFFFFF πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ‘
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Today's update if you like to follow πŸ˜‰
Just building up the fur...
Tomorrow I may finish the eyes, and I think I'm done 😁
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

not the art that I could be proud of...
I disagree. You should be proud of this work, it has a fluid style and represents the cat well. You should also be proud of stepping outside your comfort zone and achieving a good result.
Question - did you use a tortillon or a shaping tool to move and soften the fur?
Suggestion - You CAN have white whiskers you know. Once all your fur is completed, take a white eraser and cut it so it has a clean edge or sharp point, the 'draw' with the eraser with a swift flick across the fur to lift and create a white line. you can use an electric eraser to do this as well. Practice first on another sheet of paper though.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

LindasPencils wrote: ↑Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:21 am
not the art that I could be proud of...
You should be proud of this work, it has a fluid style and represents the cat well. You should also be proud of stepping outside your comfort zone and achieving a good result.
I do agree dear Linda what you said ...
It's just me, person who always appreciate to dig into detail 😁
You right, I remember I felt happy when sketching those cats in charcoal, but also I thought it was looking like chaildish attempts if you know I mean...
Therefore I never felt ok with the final pieces πŸ˜‰πŸ‘
Question - did you use a tortillon or a shaping tool to move and soften the fur?
I'm not sure Linda if you aware this cat isn't drawn with charcoal πŸ€”
You could easily have missed this short info placed at the first post.
This is graphite pencil sketch, my first one, to see if I can be more happy sketching those cats for my sister...
Yes I am using brush technique and tortillon too, and eraser the way you just have mention.
I'm sure the eraser technique is handy, as you suggest, but I'm not sure if it will lift equally same amount of graphite throughout whisker's length...
It's because random places of the fur can be pressed harder by me, so this is my worry at this point...
But I'm not much after have the whiskers white TBH, black whiskers can do as well...
It's just meant to be relaxed sketch you see, first one in graphite to let me find out if I enjoy it more while drawing with MY medium πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
I like it so far, it's much more detailed and realistic compared to those previous charcoal sketches πŸ˜‰
Thank you very much for keen words and advice!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I call it FINISHED 🀘🀠
Lets move on to the next drawing...
All critique VERY appreciated - as always πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Thank you for watching πŸ˜‰
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I do like this style too. This reminds me very much of a little faded tortoiseshell cat I once had. Her eyes were clear and shiny like this. She had delicate features and she had black whiskers too. The only observation I would have is that I usually don’t see long whiskers on a cat’s chin. The ones near the mouth and in the ears are perfect.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: ↑Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:39 pm The only observation I would have is that I usually don’t see long whiskers on a cat’s chin.
So sorry!
I couldn't resist πŸ€£πŸ˜…πŸ˜‰πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜
Thank you very much for keen comment, and I'm glad I did trigger some warm memories of your beloved cat Laurene 😊