Western Spinebill and Banksia marginata

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Boblines

Western Spinebill and Banksia marginata

Post by Boblines »

The Western Spinebill has evolved its long curved beak and feathered tongue to feed on the nectar of many deep throated Australian flowers including those of the Banksia species of which a seed cone is illustrated here. Thanks to my recently departed wife Dorothy's love of gardening, I have both bird and flower to enjoy each and every day.

Image size 12 x 14 inches. Arches 300 gsm HP.

Constructive feedback much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Western Spinebill and Banksia marginata

Post by Laurene »

Once again, this is lovely work! I love your style which reminds me of traditional botanical and bird art.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I have friends who do photographing birds and other wild animals while enjoying gardening, or just resting there...
Very nice drawing, as always great details 👍
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

This is a lovely balanced composition, Bob. At first, I thought I'd like to see more contrast in the seed head... but on reflection, no. The bird dominates, and that's just as it should be.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net