The sheet pressed marks ...

Discussions, Questions, Recommendations... on everything to do with PENCILS, PAPERS, and all other TOOLS for any medium; and general DRAWING TECHNIQUES.
PogArtTi

The sheet pressed marks ...

Post by PogArtTi »

Hi I think I have a doubt and l can't find the answer so I count on your kindness to help me out understand whether those side pressed marks are anything I should bother?
I used to draw on A3 format most, where my doubt didn't exist, as there is not such dented marks on the sheets...
This time I'm drawing for first time onto much larger format 22"/30", so I bought those sheets which comes as a single sheets of course.
I've never had such large sheet at a front of me, and this is how I found those pressed in marks...

I believed the front surface I was looking at was smoother looking than the back, or it was illusion only...
Unfortunately those pressed in marks were dented around the front edge?
I found then, that at the back this dented mark is placed only at a single corner...
Therefore I chosen the back of the sheet for my drawing to be, thinking that I can live with one mark, but not having them few around, if you know I mean...

This is my doubt I wish you could explain, so I can understand it, and accept its appearance on my drawing surface, or choose the back of the peeper every time, where it's only one mark instead of few around the edges.

I'm providing the example of what those pressed marks Look alike for better understanding what I mean.
I have ARCHES AQUARELLE mark at the bottom and top edge, and on the other side edges I have three digits number too...
At the back it is only one mark of ARCHES AQUARELLE at one corner, but I got that feeling this back surface isn't as smooth as the front one, or it's just my guess...
What I'm saying is I'd love to draw on the front surface, but those marks at the edges...?!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Re: The sheet pressed marks ...

Post by LindasPencils »

The mark is known as an imprint, or a watermark. My understanding is that the 'right reading' side is the correct side, i.e, the drawing or painting side. It is usually smoother in hot press. But some people prefer the back of the paper for more texture. Different papers will have different feels to the back and front. Often the back is slightly rougher or has a pattern due to the mesh the paper pulp slurry rests on in the paper making process. Some have a coating on the front to make them feel smoother.
If you prefer drawing on the 'right' side (i.e. the side where the writing in the watermark reads correctly) always remember to put a small X or pencil dot in each corner of a full sheet before you cut it. That way when you cut the sheet into quarters or halves or whatever you will easily be able to tell which is the drawing side.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

LindasPencils wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:54 am The mark is known as an imprint, or a watermark. My understanding is that the 'right reading' side is the correct side, i.e, the drawing or painting side. It is usually smoother in hot press.
Thank you very much for keen explanation my dear friend.
My problem is, that I wasn't expecting any inprinted marks at all around the edge, so once I have noticed them, I got confused what to do...
As you said Linda, I feel too that front of the paper looks smoother, and i'll choose to draw on this sdele at my next drawing.
Thank you for advice of placing the marks around, but I will never cut it in half or such.
It is the size I prefer to keep for now you see, therefore those marks around edge are bothering me, because they will be always noticeable on the original drawing, and I don't know whether it's good or bad Linda 😊
Thank you very much for your time to answer 😉
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Boblines

Post by Boblines »

You are drawing on quality paper and the maker's imprint is evidence of the fact. I can assure you that any art dealer worth their salt - or any keen collector - would relish the presence of such "marks" as evidence of your use of prime material. Mount your work in such way that such things as deckled edges and makers' imprints are shown to aesthetic advantage.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Thank you very much!
That was my biggest worry, whether it's good thing to have keep these *marks or do my best to cover/dismiss their presence.
Thanks for keen answer 😉

qwert6

Post by qwert6 »

Should you decide to cut heavy paper again... Titanium Bonded® Steel Shears, Multipurpose, Straight cut, are amazing for cutting straight edges very easily. 15/20 USD.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Thanks!
But why it's so cheap 🤔?
Does it cut 30 inch long sheet?
I will check it out later.
👍👍👍