Australian Bell Miner

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Boblines

Australian Bell Miner

Post by Boblines »

The bird in this picture is the Bell Miner. It is having a deleterious affect on the Eucalypt forest of the Australian east coast. It cultivates psyllids, which thrive in the leaves of the trees, as a food source , devouring not the insect itself but the sugary sap which covers the insect's back. The bird defends its "garden" from all other predators whether insects, spiders or birds. In doing so, it limits the trees ability to pollinate thus causing forest decline.

The drawing is 40 x 45 cms using a 2h clutch and 8B Derwent Graphite pencils on Arches 300 gsm Hot Pressed watercolour paper. It took about 10 hours to produce. I should point out that the paper itself is NOT pure white and, having been guided by Mike in the production of images for presentation, this image is almost tonally true.

Constructive critiques always welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Australian Bell Miner

Post by Mike Sibley »

Boblines wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:20 am I should point out that the paper itself is NOT pure white and... this image is almost tonally true.
Degrees of contrast can make such a difference to a drawing that knowing what we're seeing is true is really useful. Thanks.

What a fascinating subject. I thought at first they were dew drops on the leaves (and I was about to ask why they aren't round :) ). We don't have anything here like the Bell Miner, but we do have aphids that emit honeydew - so, fairly similar.

I think the drawing is delightful. But there are a couple of things I'd like to mention. Neither greatly affect the appearance but...

First, the bottom of the tail runs almost seamlessly into the edge of the leaf below. I didn't take much notice until my wife Jenny popped in and remarked "that bird has a long tail!" :roll: So, if you meet this situation again, just move the leaf slightly right, or adjust the tail, so it meets the edge of the leaf with a sharp angle. That's sufficient to break the tie between the two elements and place them on different planes.

Second, while I love the shaping and character in the leaf to the right of the bird... it does rather unfortunately mimic the bird's shape. That's more obvious at a distance. Again, it's not a fault as such, but the human brain is far too keen to spot patterns and symmetry. Avoiding either is usually the best course.

Everything else - the bird, the story, the composition - superb! ;)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

What an interesting relationship between bird and plant. The more I learn about nature, the more I realize how little I know! Thanks for sharing that. As for the artwork itself, I love the composition and the full range of value in the bird. Lovely piece!

Shmush

Post by Shmush »

A well told story. Even using off white paper your highlight in the eye really causes the viewer to focus on the bird. The detail in the feet is amazing! The bird’s body has a very dimensional look. As Mike said the one leaf does echo the bird’s shape, but other than that the composition is well done. If I were to suggest any improvement it would be the area around the beak, it doesn’t appear to be quite up to the level of the rest of your picture.

Boblines

Post by Boblines »

Thanks everyone for the positive and constructive feedback. I agree with you all: the poorly placed leaf blow the tail and the leaf to the right mimicking the birds pose are grevious faults with the overall design and are a result of not taking enough time to plan the composition. I am impatient by nature and always too anxious to "get things done!" There is a lesson for me to be learned here, so thanks you . As to the unfinished beak - I missed it completely!!! For the same lack of attention to detail. All rather foolish errors given the time involved in producing the drawing in the first place.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Lovely composition, and awesome realistic drawing...
I like it very much, a joy to watch, I mean it 🤘🤠
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*