Fledgling Wood Swallow

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Boblines

Fledgling Wood Swallow

Post by Boblines »

I offer this as an example of what can be done with minimal, inexpensive materials: a 2H clutch pencil, an 8B Derwent Graphic pencil and standard cartridge paper. The grain of this paper being put to use in texturing the "tree".

Picture size 40 x 47 cms.

Please comment constructively. Feedback is always welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Fledgling Wood Swallow

Post by Mike Sibley »

My first reaction - despite the grades used - was that this is lacking contrast. And that lack in turn has resulted in a partial loss of three-dimensional form. But then I decided to see what Affinity Photo would suggest your photo actually looks like. Admittedly, I manually returned the paper to white, but this was the general result:
BOB-Swallow.jpg
Now, that's looking good. Hopefully, it looks more like your original too. Please let me know.

As you mentioned, the texture of the paper has indeed helped to create the textures. It's added a "rough" appearance to the bark, and helped with the downy feathering of the young swallow.

Outside the technical aspects, this is a thoroughly good drawing. The bird has a sharply-drawn eye with a brilliant highlight that immediately attracts my eye to it. The tree wraps around the bird in a totally natural way, And the softening of the ends of the tree that point away from the bird removes their tendency to distract. The bark texture is... well, my acid test is "can I feel it under my fingertips"... and I can! Every bump and groove.

And the sharp drawing of the tree - especially the branch the bird is perched on - wonderfully contrasts with the soft down of the feathers. Both emphasise the qualities of the other.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Boblines

Post by Boblines »

Thanks Mike. The actual drawing falls between the two images and is more inclined to your modification than my submission..

I still haven't mastered the editing process. I must spend a little more time on that before making further posts.

I am currently working on a similar drawing of an Australian Bell Miner, a small passerine which is having a very damaging affect on certain eucalypts in the eastern states by feasting on the trees' infestation of lerps.

I shall be applying ( possibly) watercolour washes. May I submit such work as a graphite pencil drawing?

Thanks again for most encouraging critique.

Bob

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Boblines wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:27 am I shall be applying (possibly) watercolour washes. May I submit such work as a graphite pencil drawing?
As long as it's predominantly graphite, a colour wash is perfectly OK here. Otherwise, use the Mixed Media forum.

I'm looking forward to seeing the result. It's not an easy trick to pull off... unless you're our Linda, of course, :D
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I certainly can’t add anything to Mike’s comments except to say that I agree with everything. I’m fascinated by your use oh 2H and 8B. Do you use a tissue or tortillon to blend the 8B?

Boblines

Post by Boblines »

Hello Laurene. I use both tissue and tortillon with my drawings. I control(or try to!!) the 8B tone by pressure only. In the lighter areas the pencil is allowed to just rest on the surface as it is drawn across the paper thus leaving a minimum of graphite on top of the grain. NO pressure is applied - just the weight of the pencil itself. This way I can control subsequent blending. I use only a refurbished, clean tortillon to avoid transferring "old" graphite residue. Tissue is only used to blend the underlying 2H layer. I am posting another drawing later today of an Australian Bell Miner. On the leaves of this drawing it is possible to see very small spots of 8B residue which help texture the leaves particularly the one on the bird's right. I hope this is helpful.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Thanks Bob. Yes, that’s very helpful. It’s interesting to see how different artists work.