Bee Silva

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
rideum51

Bee Silva

Post by rideum51 »

White face1 20210405_13481881.jpg
Second in a series from a photo by Bee Silva a Brazilian photographer now living in Texas. His photography is similar to drawings by Jona Dry with the subject framed in black. As always comments appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ElaineH

Re: Bee Silva

Post by ElaineH »

Wow! This is fabulous, and from such a different and interesting angle. Especially like how you have done the mane, the muscle definition and his lovely shiny coat.

Boblines

Post by Boblines »

Nicely done with a full compliment of tones from the blackest black to pure white of the paper. I find myself distracted however by the pale hand at top centre and the strange shapes above the horses mane. The same distraction from the white "straps"? beneath the muzzle. The starkness of these elements on the edge of the image catch my eye and take my attention away from the well drawn image of the horse itself. I'd like to know the materials you have used and how you have managed that intense black background. Well done.

RobB

Post by RobB »

Boom wow didnt expect this
only my opinion but the hand is`nt required
nice work

Rob

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Hi! Always such a treat to see your work, and this is no exception! You clearly know and understand horse anatomy, especially musculature, very well and it comes through in the power of the horse that we feel in your drawing. He’s almost exploding off of the paper!

I do agree with Bob and Rob concerning the hand at the top though . The hazy spot over the mane and the straps below the muzzle as well. Maybe these elements can just be pushed back by darkening them so that they’re less dominant. None of that takes away from the fact that this is a powerful well rendered drawing!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

What a powerful drawing! And that's due in a large part to your perfect three-dimensional description of the musculature.

I agree about the hand being a distraction, and it's not particularly realistic. I understand the need for its presence, given the legs in the saddle, but you might consider dressing it in a glove - a dark one, so it almost disappears? My only other concern is the hoof at the base that, unlike the rest of the drawing, contains no three-dimensional shading at all, so it looks unnaturally flat. And I'm not sure what those shapes are to the right of the hoof? Except - possibly - not required? :roll:
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I do enjoy to look at your art, the way of horse expression, that shows its wild character and great animal power!
Everybody did mention the hand already, so you know what to focus on.
There's just lack of correct anatomical shape, therefore it catching everybody attention (I guess 😁).
I like Mike's advice to make it as a glove instead, so you can easily improve the shapes, and make it less appealing to the viewer 👍
I love watching the horse..., really great job!

Some time ago I've written a message to Jono Dry to say halo, and to share how I like his work, and that I'm big fan too.
Actually I didn't expect to receive any answer, but he made my day, and did reply with keen words as well.
That made my day, you know, the feeling that he cares to reply 🤘🤠
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*