WIP HUEY

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
zojoey

WIP HUEY

Post by zojoey »

Hi, This is Huey our Great Pyrenees on logs at back of our property. The property falls off behind the logs, with sparse woods, then distant woods. The large trees are fairly close to the piled logs. I am not sure how to capture the background, mid ground and foreground. My idea is to have oak leaves on some of the logs in front. Do I have more black there? More black in the sparse woods (downhill). The trees behind the woodpile are big with branching very high up.
Huey on woodpile.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Re: WIP HUEY

Post by PogArtTi »

Hi zojoey, I just found your drawing in here!
I like it very much !
Especially the dog, and you perfectly caught him struggling to keep the balance and moving forward with caution...
I just love it...
Also the attention to the details on the trees is stunning.
its gonna be great looking art indeed!
I'll follow 🤘🤠
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Hi zojoey. I love your composition. He’s so intently looking for squirrel but the joke’s on him! :).

I do get a sense of recession in your background now. If you wanted to increase that effect, as a general rule, objects nearest the viewer are darker and object further from the viewer will seem lighter.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Yes, love the little squirrel poking out while Huey bumbles around at the other end. lol.
Contrast and tonal range... at the moment this work has great potential but is all rather grey - except Huey who is bright white. I think you need more contrast and ranges of tones in the woodpile. Have you looked at Mike's tutorial here on Shading? he gives some great hints.
This is going to be a fun drawing, lots of work, but fun.

RobB

Post by RobB »

Overdue an update looks a great start

Rob