Blue Wren from Denmark Western Australia

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Boblines

Blue Wren from Denmark Western Australia

Post by Boblines »

Blue Wren ( Malurus splendens) looking for nesting material.

Such birds (and their numerous cousins)are common in my garden throughout the year. They are extremely tame, travel in family groups and maintain an incessant shrill chatter. Plenty of water, plenty of native plants and they will keep you amused all the year round.

Image(paper)size 30 x 40 cm: standard cartridge paper. Derwent Hb - 6b.
Photograph taken with Ipad and edited in Photos ( Mac)

Comments and constructive criticism appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Blue Wren from Denmark Western Australia

Post by Mike Sibley »

I love that it's pulling a single thread :)

It's a good, balanced, composition too. The only downside, for me, is that the shoe contains a lot of unnatural linear shading. If the shading had been smoother it would look less artificial and more three-dimensionally solid.
BOB-wren1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I like it very much!
The bird is having his discovery time by being attracted by the shoe...
Very intriguing drawing 😉
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Lovely playful composition! If you don’t mind an observation, I find my eye going to the shoe rather than the bird. I think it’s due to the strong contrasts in the shoe. Perhaps some touches of dark in the bird would bring the eye back up to the main subject.

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

I agree with Laurene, lovely composition and drawing. As mentioned there doesn't seem to be a main focus. Either the shoe or the bird could be chosen but they are equally balanced at this stage.

Boblines

Post by Boblines »

Well spotted !!Thank you.