Grimm #14: Rapunzel

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
LindasPencils

Grimm #14: Rapunzel

Post by LindasPencils »

I have never liked this story much, even as a child I found it disturbing.
There are a whole list of things wrong with this tale - parents selling an unborn child for a salad. A girl at puberty locked away into a phallic symbol. Abusive step-mother/witches/controlling parent. Hair growing to 20 ells in length (that's 57 feet/22 meters!). Random Prince appearing, taking advantage of a naive, isolated girl who has never seen a man before and 'marries' her. Not exactly informed consent I think. She ends up pregnant - in the earliest story the witch discovers the affair when Rupunzel asks her why her clothes are getting so tight around her middle. So the witch casts her out into the desert, blinds the Prince and Rupunzel ends up an unwed mother of twins living alone until the blind Prince stumbles about and eventually hears her singing to the children. Rupunzel heals the Prince with her tears of contrition and repentance. Supposedly then living happily ever after. As if.
So many things wrong about this story... neglect, imprisonment, sexual abuse, ostracism of an unwed mother ... Poor Rupunzel!
◼ Graphite and colour pencil (wash and dry) on Lana Hot Press paper, 300gsm.
Rapunze_dwml.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Re: Grimm #14: Rapunzel

Post by PogArtTi »

Linda!?
I've never been reading too much of any tales, some random you know, but it seems I know nothing regarding the tales of Grimm (brothers I think)...
I'm worry who were they to made up such complicated scenarios?
I mean not this one only, but many ...
I'm not much after reading those stories on my own (sorry), therefore I'm VERY APPRECIATE you always providing some description, so I'm aware what's going on.,,
I'm not going to mention your drawing at this point Linda, because it's always well drawn, tells the story behind, and your drawing shows your style nicely 😊
Thank you for share.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Boy oh boy, no wonder Disney took years re-writing these tales! Talk about the stuff of nightmares!!

The drawing is very touching, whether of Rapunzel or of any young girl so alone in the family clinic waiting room. You just want to put your arm around her shoulders and comfort her...

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I just remember some late night TV series ...
How was it going 🤔
... Tales of the Grimm Brothers?
It was horror short movies, like 30minutes long...
Very SCARY !
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*