Grim #4. Nibble, Nibble

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
LindasPencils

Grim #4. Nibble, Nibble

Post by LindasPencils »

This is such a classic tale it was difficult to approach in any new way. In the end I chose the viewpoint from inside the witches gingerbread house with Hansel and Gretel seen munching their way in through the window. I had fun with the titles on the cookbooks.

A lot of different pencils used:
NibblepencilsDWM.jpg
From the top down:
Staedtler Blue Lead
HB
2B
Mitsubishi F
Mitsubishi 4H
Mitusbishi 2H
Faber Castel Aquarelle Magenta (wash and dry)
Staedtler Karat Aquarell Yellow Orange (wash and dry)
Derwent sketching 4B (washed)
Derwent Graphitint Chestnut (washed)
Derwent Graphitint Indigo (washed)
Faber Castell pencil eraser
plus some blue tack you cannot see here
Drawn on Lana 300gsm Hot Press
NibbleNibbleDWM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ElaineH

Re: Grim #4. Nibble, Nibble

Post by ElaineH »

Love this image. Initially it has a really lovely cosy, nostalgic feel..........until I start to look very closely....then: 'mince a male' 'braise a boy' jars of eyeballs!! brilliant

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

There’s so much to look at here Linda. As Elaine said, at first it’s a rather sweet scene because of the soft colours and the candy, but then the eye wanders and picks up..... cockroaches on the wall, a rat under the wood stove, a poor dead bird or duck on the wall and of course those jars and cookbooks!!! 😱😱😱 oh, and a wishbone on a nail??? Never mind....I’d rather not know ☠️

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

My powers of observation are obviously not so great! My first impression also was " what a cute scene" although the boiling pot and array of scary utensils above the stove should have alerted me, and, knowing you, there had to be a quirky twist, as evidenced by the book titles! Very clever, Linda and as always beautifully drawn. Well done.
Jean

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

hehehehe, 😆 Glad you all saw the joke and the creepy elements. This is exactly the reaction I hoped for: 'Oh how sweet, but, ewwww!'
I think my fav book title is 'Cannibalism for Dummies' lol.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Awesome art!
Congratulations... 😊
So busy drawing, plenty of things to look at, beautiful and a real joy to look at!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Wonderfully done. It's nice to look at a piece and have to keep looking to engage all the elements. Are those eyeballs in the jar, eeeyu

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Hi LindaPencils:
I was also taken by surprise with your drawing. I thought it was a sweet scene with children peeking in and wanting the candy on the floor. I then started to look more closely and saw the blood on the knife, severed hand, eyeballs in the jar, skull light and realized it was a trap!!! Really well done and so glad I saw this.

On another note, you were mentioned in my drawing of a piranha (under graphite drawing) as the best person to talk about colored pencils with! I wondered what you would have used to color the piranha's belly. I don't have much experience with color and graphite together and was afraid to use some of the colored washes I have (such as Staedtler Karat color pencil wash, Derwent's Graphitint pencils). I was considering using Staedtler's red pencil, but not sure what that does (although I kept trying samples). I ended up just tinting the graphite with Verithin Primacolor colored pencils, that I have used before with is just giving a hint of color. Do you like those? I rarely use color, but would be interested in your insights.

Also, thanks so much for including all of the pencils you used in this fantastic drawing of yours! Love your work!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

This is absolutely thoroughly enjoyable... in a very unique Linda sort of way :)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net