Sharpeners

Discussions, Questions, Recommendations... on everything to do with PENCILS, PAPERS, and all other TOOLS for any medium; and general DRAWING TECHNIQUES.
LindasPencils

Sharpeners

Post by LindasPencils »

PogArt asks about sharpeners...

I love my pencils to be sharp and have a fine point when doing detailed work, especially fur techniques. I am often asked asked if I use an electric sharpener. Well, every electric sharpener I have ever had I have burned out the motor fairly quickly. I sharpen that often I have yet to find one that withstands constant use - even the very expensive $300 one I bought started to smoke and died after week of use.

So in the end I find the good old-fashioned hand held type suits me best and I have many! But what is the best and what type or brand do I use? Well, for regular wood cased pencils, I find the small little metal or plastic ones do the job fine. No particular brand, just the ones you find for a couple of dollars at the art or stationery shop. I have a variety of these and they are indispensable. You can replace the blade if you are keen, or just toss into the recycle bin when they go blunt. Depending on your pencil choice, be aware of the size of the hole in your sharpener. It is worthwhile having a few of the wider hole versions on hand for pencils that have a wider diameter such as some of the color pencils.

The most expensive one in this collection is the 'Kumo' one, it sharpens 'long', but I don't much like the bulbous point it creates.
Other types are what I call 'Travellers', and are self contained units that hold the shavings. A wide variety of these around, but I do like the little Faber Castell model.

For my Staedtler Mars Techno clutch pencils, nothing can beat the Staedtler 502 sharpener designed especially for these pencils. Pin sharp excellence!
SharpenersDWM.jpg
Just a few from my sharpener collection!

And when I don't need a super sharp point I use a Stanly knife to whittle the point and then create a chisel or rounded end with a sandpaper block. Mike has a tutorial here on the site.

But my all time favorite is this novelty sharper. It actually doesn't sharpen all that well, but it makes me smile every time I look at it.
noveltysharpenerDWM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Re: Sharpeners

Post by LindasPencils »

Just thought I'd put a link here back to Mikes 'how to use the Staedtler sharpener' video if you haven't already seen it:
https://sibleyfineart.com/_members-area ... rpener.htm
And the chisel point technique which can be used for clutch or wood cased pencils:
https://sibleyfineart.com/_members-area ... -point.htm

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Wow, Linda, such an educational post indeed, so let me put my 5 pence in here as well 😁
I've had owned for very long time the Jakar electric sharpener, it was sharpening my pencils quick, and I liked it very much.
Last year Summer time, when I decided to got back to graphite drawings, I started looking for similar sharpener, but with random width holes, so I could have one sharpener for all my pencils, regardless how tick they are.
I found Jakar again, Jumbo three hole - improved 😅
I decided to go for it...
Later I bought two more manual sharpeners, honesty don't know why, lol, maybe I just liked to have them 😅
Am I wrong, or all the sharpeners I have are Jakar's?
😆😅🤣
So here we go, my all three sharpeners 😁
Obviously the Jumbo is the main one, I just love to sharpen my pencil in blink of the eye 🙂
You already know Linda, but for those who aren't aware, the manual three hole (the silver one) sharpener has all three holes in different length.
It's very unique, because every each hole is meant to sharpen the pencil differently.
So one hole sharpens as normal, the second only the wooden part, leaving the lead exposed, then the third hole sharpens the exposed lead only...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

very sharp!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

LindasPencils wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:44 amvery sharp!
🤘🤠
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*