The LightHouse

Discussions, Questions, Recommendations... on everything to do with PENCILS, PAPERS, and all other TOOLS for any medium; and general DRAWING TECHNIQUES.
LindasPencils

The LightHouse

Post by LindasPencils »

This is #14 in the 'Ocean' series of drawings I have been doing. Fabriano 300gsm hot press paper. Graphitint pencil washes in Indigo and 4B. Dry pencil work in Staedtler Mars clutch 2H, HB, 2B, 4B. Mitsubishi pencils 2H and 4H (the Mitsubishi's are much softer than Staedtler). Staedtler Mars blue pencil and Graphitint Indigo. Same size as previous at 38 x 33 cm image area.
TheLighthouseDWM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Re: The LightHouse

Post by LindasPencils »

re the Darks Mike, I have been throwing in a lot of that blue pencil as a base which gives the graphite a real punch.
also - not used in this work, but I have also been playing around with a Blackwing Palomino pencil which has some real grunt. Have you tried them? They are waxy graphite and very dense black.
I did a review of them on my blog if anyone is interested.
https://lindaweilfineart.blogspot.com/2 ... eview.html
BlackwingDWM.jpg
Mountain Pygmy Possum sketch with Blackwing and Prismacolor Premier pencils - 30 min
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Thank you very much for testing and share this pencil.
Obviously I wasn't aware of its interesting history, which is very interesting to know!
I'm going to try to hunt for it now on ebay, and I'll happily buy it if possible, because I'm kind of big fan of rich black graphite pencils ๐Ÿ˜‰

(I found it!, I'll get the darker Matte to try - thank you ๐Ÿ˜‰
I'm thinking of Natural as well, not sure yet whether I'll use Natural or not...
Just thinking what benefits they may give, compared to the Staedtler Lumograph Black set I have ... ๐Ÿค”)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Palomino-Bla ... 90.l49292
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

PogArt wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:49 pm (I found it!, I'll get the darker Matte to try - thank you ๐Ÿ˜‰
I'm thinking of Natural as well, not sure yet whether I'll use Natural or not...
Just thinking what benefits they may give, compared to the Staedtler Lumograph Black set I have ...
Hi dear Linda, I decided to order three of those, the Blackwing, Pearl and 602.
I was watching lots of YouTube reviews, and I just was unable to decide which I prefer most ๐Ÿ˜…
All those three may be handy to have ๐Ÿค”
The one thing, that's bothering me is shining comparison - none of the reviews was meant to compare the shining of the graphite.
Linda, can you share your opinion regarding my concern please?
I'm very interested to hear about your experience, because the pencils are expected to be delivered around 5th of January... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Thank you in advance.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

DWright

Post by DWright »

Linda -

I absolutely love your series and this one is no exception. Such imagination and story telling with great execution.
I decided to order three of those, the Blackwing, Pearl and 602
Blackwings!! YES!! I love these pencils and was one of the first to test them out for the company:) The original Blackwing (matte) is my favorite as the core is so smooth and lays down a beautiful dark.

I recently added two more pencils to my pencil box. These are perfect for sketching. The 600 Musgrave NEWS pencil has a thicker core but lays down really rich darks. Then the Generals Draughting No. G314 is a lighter grade also with a thicker core. This one is perfect for using a chisel point and laying down broad strokes. I will post some of my sketches using these pencils (hopefully soon).

Sorry Linda, I got side-tracked talking about pencils:)

Diane

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

DWright wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:31 am Blackwings!! YES!! I love these pencils and was one of the first to test them out for the company:)

..."The 600 Musgrave NEWS pencil has a thicker core but lays down really rich darks. Then the Generals Draughting No. G314 is a lighter grade also with a thicker core. This one is perfect for using a chisel point and laying down broad strokes.
Thank you Diane for jumping in my question, I really enjoyed your review, as the pencils are kind of my treasure, lol...
No, I'm not purchasing all of them, lol, but I'm easily getting attracted by new pencils, and then I'm really struggling not to buy them ๐Ÿ˜‰
The Blackwing not only attracting me by its name, lol, but also by its interesting history behind!
Therefore I just couldn't resist ๐Ÿ˜…
I'm imprest of Generals too, but I haven't heard of the one you've mention, the one before neither - obviously I'm going to learn some more about them now ๐Ÿ˜‰
I'm mainly drawing with Wolff's Carbon, Generals Kimberly 9xxB, and Primo Elite Grande 5000.
Thank you for yours few words Diane ๐Ÿ˜‰

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Sorry Linda, I got side-tracked talking about pencils:)

and a delightful little detour it is! I LOVE pencils, talking about them, using them, trying them, love the smell of a freshly sharpened one... obsessive much? :D

...so, Mike... should we start a new forum or thread where we all talk about our fav pencils? You could copy/paste from here... let me know as it isn't as though you don't have enough to do already!

pencils. pencils. pencils!