wild west in color

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
rideum51

wild west in color

Post by rideum51 »

Got um1a 20201011_11011222_InPixio.jpg
thought I would try my hand at using colored pencils for the wild west. Interesting how each medium has its pluses and minuses. Almost impossible to erase colored pencils but the layering of colors provides for a variety of tones. Also difficult to get and keep a good point, electric sharpeners tend to get the point too long and thin so it breaks too easy. Comments please
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Re: wild west in color

Post by LindasPencils »

I might just hang up my pencils right now! This is good and you say you are only 'trying' it!

Which brand of pencils are you using Rideum? And are you using a 'standard' wax/oil based pencil or a watercolour type?

Remember both types have the exact same pigments, just the w/c ones are soluble in water. Wax/oil tend to be more lush and richer when you layer. But wax/oil don't sharpen well and some brands crumble and bloom. Watercolour also called Aquerelle usually hold a point better.
Prismacolour make a harder wax pencil called Verithin which sharpens to a point well and doesnt' break too easily. Well worth the investment.

Alternatively a good watercolor pencil like the Staedtler Mars Karat (not the Norris) or top of the line Caran d'Ache Museum Aquarelle are harder and hold a point very well. I use the Karat in preference to all other colour pencils for this reason - plus I cannot afford the Caran.
Also, you can mix the pencils. Build up layers in the waxed and then refine with a watercolor.

Your drawing is coming along beautifully. Don't forget to try using some of the cooler colurs in the warm - so a bit of blue in the bay horse, and maybe a bit of violet or red in the blues of the shirt to create shadows. Also, be wary of using the black pencil too much as it can look flat (not here, just a caution) and over power. Use a red or blue or violet first then layer up finally using the black as an accent. Greens can be a hassle too as they can look unnatural - I usually start with a yellow, then layer a cyan blue, add violet for shadow THEN use a green layer on top.

Try dabbing blue tack or kneadable eraser rather than erasing. That will lift some of the layers of cp.

have fun!

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Linda, you are the best. I had to print your comments, they were so informative. I used the prismacolor premiere, I assume it is wax, and I do have the Verithin but haven't used it yet. I will try your suggestions. I'm also at a place where I really love graphite and now the colored pencils are fun. I think I will try combining the two techniques next.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

It's looking so interesting in colour too!
Nice light, shadows - everything!
Wow 😉
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*