RILEY for Linda

EXHIBITION ONLY. Post your Graphite Pencil masterworks here!

Moderator: ElaineH

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

RILEY for Linda

Post by Mike Sibley »

RILEY.jpg
"Riley" by Mike Sibley

I drew Riley for Linda (our LindasPencils) in 2016 as an in-memoriam study.

Usually, I know how long a drawing took to complete, but not this time. I worked on it for a period of about six months, whenever I had a spare hour or two. Often in the evenings immediately after mucking out the donkeys, or finishing a fencing project (we have a 4-acre smallholding / hobby farm).

To explain the composition: Although Riley belonged to Linda and husband Jerry, she told me Riley had a particularly close bond with Jerry. Working from Linda's photos, of which she had many, one said everything I needed it to say. It became the bottom left drawing that displays their bond, and Riley's character and comparative size.

With Linda's kind permission, you can now watch the video of this drawing stage by stage: RILEY : THE VIDEO!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Re: RILEY for Linda

Post by LindasPencils »

We still miss out beautiful, big boy. But this beautiful drawing eased our heatache, we had it framed and it hangs 'pride of place' in our livingroom where we see it everyday.

Once again, thank you Mike for this wonderful memory of our Riley.
WIN_20191123_14_02_03_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I remember this one well Mike. The fur is velvety soft, the nose is cool and wet and the eyes are alive and intelligent and hold so much love.

But then again, I'm spoiled. I'm accustomed to expecting just this kind of exceptional work from you! You have a way of almost getting into the skin of your subjects and projecting that feeling to the viewer. I can feel Riley's love for Linda and Jerry.

We discussed the idea of telling a story with our artwork in another topic. The vignette in the bottom left corner tells the story here superbly without hitting the viewer over the head with an overly complicated composition.

Ok. I think I made my point. I love it!!! :D

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:34 pm The vignette in the bottom left corner tells the story here superbly without hitting the viewer over the head with an overly complicated composition.
This is going to sound a little odd... but in my mind there's a connection between the vignette and the head study.

I always felt that either the departed Riley was looking over Jerry, and dreaming of his former life...

Or that Jerry and Riley were remembering Riley. Which is odd simply because Riley features in both halves - but I can't shake either feeling.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net