Fixative issues - does it work?,rubbing test?

Join a discussion, suggest suitable subjects, or ask Mike questions about the videos.
PogArtTi

Fixative issues - does it work?,rubbing test?

Post by PogArtTi »

Hi dear friends.
Recently I went through some unpleasant discovery, that actually when I rub settled drawing, I can still pick up the graphite on my fingerprint...
Some of you may know about it already, but I was in shock.
For so many years I was so gently, and never ever have tried rubbing my drawings!? But few days ago...
Since then I started questioning Lascaux Fixativ, whether does it its job, or should I search for better one?

I did start some search through YouTube, and coincidentally I found Jason Morgan's review.
I used to follow Jason Morgan when I was learning how to use pastel pencils.
I believe he always speaks off his mind, no selling stuff, or such.
Therefore I'd like to share this review, where you can see how Jason is testing three different fixative manufacturers, showing how they darken the colour after one/two/three applications, and he's rubbing them as well...

I think it's worth to check it out, especially if you have doubts as I have.

Don't get me wrong please, I'm not saying the Lascaux is bad, I'm using it for many years, because I am trusting it's the best out there in comparison.
I just find out I can pick up the graphite, therefore I started looking for anything on the market, that might give even better protection...

This is how I found Jason's review, and I think it's worth to share.
Especially for all those Winston&Newton users, that believe it's best...

https://youtu.be/rccHGBT29KU
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Re: Fixative issues - does it work?,rubbing test?

Post by LindasPencils »

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Thank you Linda!
Wow!
It's Mike's video tutorial!!!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Watch for the star appearance of Mike's rooster through the glass door towards the end of the video!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

LindasPencils wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:29 am Watch for the star appearance of Mike's rooster through the glass door towards the end of the video!
I will check this for sure! 😁
Lol, thank you πŸ˜‰

*UPDATE - yes I just saw that lovely bird Linda πŸ˜…
I have some short story to tell if you don't mind.
Last week one of my friends has posted the photograph on Instagram of beautiful ... rooster 😁
"Rooster" this is how I called that bird after quick check on the online dictionary...
He's responded on my message typing - cockorel πŸ˜…
This is how I learnt the different name of the bird in UK πŸ˜…

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:04 am Last week one of my friends has posted the photograph on Instagram of beautiful ... rooster 😁 ... He's responded on my message typing - cockorel πŸ˜…... This is how I learnt the different name of the bird in UK πŸ˜…
He's either a ROOSTER or a COCK, not a cockerel. A cockerel is bird under one year old. But we call him THE GENERAL :D

And I have to say I was approaching that rub-the-fixed-8B with some trepidation - given the problems you were having. I chose 8B because I think that''s what you were using (I had a back-up plan using 2B, just in case). I used Winsor & Newton fixative, and it was applied in about two or three light passes (nothing excessive) and left to dry. And then I filmed the rub-it-to-see-what-happens sequence... and it behaved perfectly! So perfectly that I tried a second time using way too much pressure.... and the tissue was still spotless.

That doesn't answer your problem, but possibly a change in fixative brand might be worth a try.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:36 am He's either a ROOSTER or a COCK, not a cockerel. A cockerel is bird under one year old.
Is it OK to swear on this forum please?
I purely know now, why Americans have changed the name for Rooster!
I'm sorry .., but I'll have to report you for further consideration of your words...
I'm afraid, that admin of this forum may will suspend your profile...
πŸ˜‰πŸ˜…
Mike, it's too much for my overloaded brain, lol πŸ˜‰
One bird under so many names! πŸ˜…
I suppose I like to stick to ROOSTER πŸ˜…
The other word reminds me the "other bird" πŸ˜…
And I have to say I was approaching that rub-the-fixed-8B with some trepidation - given the problems you were having...,
- but possibly a change in fixative brand might be worth a try.
I was watching the youtube's tutorial of you thanks to Linda who mentioned it to me.
It was looking perfectly good indeed.

The Lascaux Fixativ is very reputable fixative, so I suspect that something else was responsible for smudging...
I might applied too heavily the charcoal based pencil, and this thick layer of charcoal may be not ideal surface for the fixative...

I will watch it out for sure, thank you Mike!
And if the issue remains, I'll follow your advice to switch to Winsor&Newton or Krylon which Laurene is also using ...
Thank you once more πŸ˜‰