New YouTube video OUT NOW!

Join a discussion, suggest suitable subjects, or ask Mike questions about the videos.
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

New YouTube video OUT NOW!

Post by Mike Sibley »

DRAWING SHINY HAIR : the #1 Method

In my Drawspace courses, I've been asked a few times in the past week about how to draw hair. This is an old test video updated with a little new content, and it describes and demonstrates my #1 choice of Drawing Hair methods - which explains the noises in the background that I can't filter out :oops: :roll:

Learn how to use negative drawing and layers to create a curving lock of hair with a central highlight. It's super-controllable and, unlike the far more common erasing method, it produces very sharp, lifelike results.

Just remember: You don't draw hair, you draw the spaces between hairs.

Why not have a go at it? Post your results here and I'll critique or assist or contract out my hair drawing to you... depending on your abilities ;)

WATCH NOW...
(9¼ minutes)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Re: New YouTube video OUT NOW!

Post by Laurene »

This was an excellent review Mike. It's easy to pick up bad habits over time and I always learn solid proven methods when I watch your videos. Incorporating your demo into a finished drawing the way you did at the end is brilliant!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:15 pm Incorporating your demo into a finished drawing the way you did at the end is brilliant!
Thank you! That last bit was an afterthought. :) I realised that I'd given no indication of scale. I deliberately drew a large lock of hair for clarity, but in reality I'd probably use the exact same technique on a smaller scale.

I'm still working on the next video, which is a bit behind schedule - partly because of Cluster Headaches (which I think have finally departed) but also because I'm ditching Premiere Pro as my editor and moving to DaVinci Resolve, and that requires some research and relearning.
Mike Sibley

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I’m sorry to hear that your headaches are back Mike. I hope you can get some relief soon.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Thanks, Laurene. I think they finally died down about a week ago, so I'm way behind schedule - but these things are sent to try us :roll:

...like our horses breaking out this morning to visit the adjoining wheat field. So what's that got to do with videos? This... They broke down an old gate in the corner and, having got them back into our field, the only way to keep the gate upright again was to tie it up with the barbed wire hanging off the post. And, inevitably, a certain amount of blood (mine!) was involved. This afternoon I'll be filming some of the action sequences for the next video... with a rather bloody left hand.

I have yet to find a how-to book on video that tells you this stuff. It's all just "point your camera and get on with it". Nothing about manicure (I've just filed my nails and applied hand cream), nothing about how to cover cuts, bruises, and other imperfections, or getting your hair cut regularly so you don't have continuity problems in editing. Oh, no! I tell you, Lass, if I'd known all this before I began making videos I'd... :D

The next video should be out next week. It's all done bar the action stuff, but there is quite a lot of it to film.
Mike Sibley

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

:lol: I just had people at work look at me sideways because I'm sitting alone at my desk guffawing out loud!!

Well that proves it, you're definitely over your headaches now. It's back to work for you. Just point that camera and get on with it! :lol: :D

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:52 pm It's back to work for you. Just point that camera and get on with it! :lol: :D
OK, Boss.

Since then, I've filmed the Canvas Bag and the Old Worn Boots demos.

I've decided to have a break and edit them into the video. So, I'll film the Old Plastered Wall/Distant Foliage demo (yes, they do share the same technique), and the Viciously Brutal Blending sequences tomorrow.

All part of the MID VALUES video.
Mike Sibley

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Hope your Tetnus shots are up to date Mike!
And to cover those cuts... you should invest in some interesting kids plasters! I am always hacking bits off my hands in the garden or burns from the oven, but my Star Wars band-aids were a big hit with the students. Hello Kitty was a winner as well.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

It's lovely tutorial Mike, and I'm enjoying it every each time I watch it 😉
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*