Photo Sketch

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
ElaineH

Photo Sketch

Post by ElaineH »

4A1C2E50-B294-4ECD-8552-17C555A1759B.jpeg
I have wanted to attempt a drawing based on this photo of my own horse ‘ACE’for some time. I recently found this free app which may be helpful to use alongside the DIVISION TECHNIQUES videos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Photo Sketch

Post by Mike Sibley »

By sheer coincidence.... {drumroll please!} ......

As soon as my cold is better and I can make the voice-over for the next video - GUIDELINES - DEVICE METHODS - the final method is how to do what you just did in Photoshop. Possibly with a little more control :)

And the result is a LINE drawing, rather than your mainly tonal drawing.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Ha ha ...Will look forward to that! This app is VERY simple to use - one click. There is nothing really elegant about it - unlike photoshop. But I do like the way that it is immediately obvious where the darkest and lightest areas of the drawing are..... although not very helpful for all tones in between.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Your result is definitely useful for a number of applications. The Photoshop method is completely different, because it aims at producing a useful line drawing. Like this:
COMPUTER-LINE-INTRO.jpg
It's an eight-step process, but relatively easy once you get used to it. The last few steps only involve fine-tuning the second to fifth steps. And using keyboard shortcuts...
CTRL+J
SHIFT+CTRL+U
CTRL+I
reduces three steps to just those shortcuts.

As soon as I've got my voice back I'll be back to making that video :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley

Mouse1015

Post by Mouse1015 »

Im looking forward to your video Mike!
I wear many hats in my life but the one constant is my love for animals and being surrounded by the wonder of nature and earth's beauty. My art is central to my way of expressing my deep and abiding reverence for our Planet.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Update on the
As soon as I've got my voice back I'll be back to making that video
I've got my voice back but, after two years remission, I've got my Cluster Headaches back too. So, apologies for the long delay, but I will be back to work on it soon.
Mike Sibley

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Duh, how to use photo shop? I even have dummies for photo shop and don't understand if

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Hi Rideum. You can find a video on this subject at this link: https://sibleyfineart.com/_members-area ... device.htm

There is also a link on this page to a pdf of step-by-step instructions