Squint

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
LindasPencils

Squint

Post by LindasPencils »

I have been drawing intensively for the past few months during our Covid lock down. Lots of very detailed, precise pencil works. Most of these are due for a couple of exhibitions that are now up in the air.
But yesterday I really wanted a break from all that intense focus. I remembered some great photos I took a couple of years ago of my friends Burmese cat and sought them out. I picked up my Carbethello pastel pencils, a piece of A4 ArtSpectrum ColourFix Smooth light blue paper and spent a happy few hours just puddling away at this. Some Sennelier warm white soft pastel was added for highlights and whiskers.
This particular cat is a middle aged Burmese who likes nothing better than to laze around and watch the world. He is a rather reserved cat and is selective about who he allows to pet him (not me!). One of his favourite spots is a sort of hammock shaped cat chair lined with sheepskin. That sheepskin is almost the exact colour of his fur, so I didn't try to define the difference between his fur and the sheepskin too much, but concentrated more on the face. I didnt' bother with his body that sloped off to the right as it was just a solid grey mass that melded into the sheepskin. His squinty glare at me when I disturbed his nap to take his photo shows off his stand-offish character.
Glendas Cat MSDF.jpg
For a pleasant afternoon holiday I am reasonably happy with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Re: Squint

Post by PogArtTi »

I used to practice pastel drawing few years ago, just at a time I felt I like to try drawing in colour.
Graphite medium is my basic favourite medium, but then I felt I need to explore different mediums as well...
What else can I say?
Since then every year I'm trying to practice something different, so it was pastels,airbrush,oils,and this year as you already know it's pyrography and digital.
Actually joining you Linda and other great artists in this forum under welcomed Mike's wings :) has started making me willing to get back to my favourite graphite pencils.
Guess what!?
Two days ago I been asked for commission in graphite!!!
I couldn't ask for better time 😁😁😁

Your cat looks lovely, I like the fur texture, the subtle game between light and shadow within, the face of the cat too, and his special look at you while taking that photo 😁😁😁
You have began it very interestingly, and I'm concerned whether it's already finished or you going carry on some more work?
To me you could do either, I like it as it is,and also I could have crave for some more πŸ˜‰
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Oh yes,! I know that look well!!! :D You nailed it Linda!

More and more, I’m interested in using composition and light to create a mood or to communicate a feeling or even to suggest a story. I love the way your cat is snuggled down in the oval shape you created for him. It could be his cat bed or his own body, but it doesn’t matter. What matters is the feeling that he was happily nestled down for a long nap and mightily resented the intrusion. :lol:

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Hi Pog - BIG congratulations on your commission. Well done!
Regarding your question as to if it is finished or not, well, it is as finished as I wished to take it. As I said, this was sketch. Something to relax with in the afternoon and take me away from concentrated detail. So I was not concerned about filling in all the other area on the right. Also, in the photos, all that area is just a grey mass, no definition between fur and sheepskin, so it would not have contributed to the drawing in any way. I felt it was more effective to just suggest the mass with a few line strokes.
Laurene (hi!) picked up on this with her comment:
It could be his cat bed or his own body
You really could not tell the difference in the photo! So I did not try to invent what I could not see.
Anyway, it is just a sketch. I have sent it to the cat's owner - who tells me Jac (the cat) is now 19! He is very spoiled and gets and gives his owners many cuddles during this Covid lockdown.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

LindasPencils wrote: ↑Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:01 pm Hi Pog - BIG congratulations on your commission.
Also, in the photos, all that area is just a grey mass, no definition between fur and sheepskin, so it would not have contributed to the drawing in any way. I felt it was more effective to just suggest the mass with a few line strokes.
Thank you Linda, lol 😁😁😁
It'll give me some stress too, you know, to manage to please my work mate with the portrait πŸ˜…
I love to stick to the same manufacturer only, like Staedtler pencils, Poplar plywood, Strathmore Heavyweight 500 series paper...
That's the case! - I have A4 only of 500 serie, but he wants A3 portrait 😁
Being me I went to order A3 - unavailable 🀣🀣🀣
It took me great efforts to find 11"x14" sent from US, which takes nearly a month, where the portrait have to be ready for anniversary date of 5th September 😁
Furthermore I did order it throught Amazon (free postage, but yhere was no info reg.overseas fee..? Maybe it will be free too?) anyway on Amazon I paid Β£25, where on ebay it was Β£42! From US as well, so I guess from the same seller?
Why the price is doubled on ebay no clue.
Obviously I weny for cheaper option,the delivery gate time on Amazon shows also 10 days less...
This is also first paid commission this year, and I did dare fof first time ask to pay non refundable deposit of 50%, and surprisingly I got paid 100% at once.
He says he saw my drawings anf he knows what to expect...
Wow 😁😁😁

Regarding your beautiful drawing - I only was willing it's not finished yet, to see some more more more 😁😁😁
I do like your arts, and I'm always loving to see more more more 😁😁😁
It's the same regardinb to Laurene's arts, Mike's and Bev πŸ˜‰
Thank you.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I absolutely love this for a number of reasons.

To be honest I'd rather just sit back and admire it... but the analyst part of me wants to know more :roll:

The head is so perfectly sharper than the sheepskin bed that it's undeniably the focus.
The expression is perfect too. I sooooo remember that on a few of my more "snooty" cats.
And you knew exactly where to stop. No amount of additional work could add anything to the story.

I've no doubt I've mentioned this before somewhere but back in the day when I was Vice-chairman and Press Officer for our village hall... we had an art exhibition.

I reported in my newspaper column that our local Mayor, an amateur watercolour artist, "had a MASTERY of knowing when to stop".

Unfortunately, the paper printed a typo... stating that he "had a MYSTERY of knowing when to stop" :D :oops:
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Thank you for the kind words Mike - the cat owner is now enjoying the work. Jac was officially 20 years old a month ago! He is not well so I am glad I had the chance to draw him for her as a keepsake of her beloved friend.

...but yes, sometimes it is a mystery to know when to stop!