Sanguine/Red Chalk drawing

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
LindasPencils

Sanguine/Red Chalk drawing

Post by LindasPencils »

As the next subject my classes are doing is 'Sepia/Red Chalk drawings, I bought a new set of pencils from Stadtler.
https://www.staedtler.com/intl/en/produ ... 100p-sbk6/
not that I needed them. I mean, I have a ton of sanguine/earth tone pencils already, but hey, that never stops me! Half the fun of art shops is buying new stuff. :P And I wonder why I never seem to make a profit in this business. :roll:

Anyway, my test drawing to show to the students is a skull study done using these pencils as well as a couple of conte blocks (bistre and white) on the Strathmore 180gsm tan toned paper. About 2 hours from plan to finish. Drawn from 'life' so to speak, as I own this skull. I mean, doesn't everyone have one in a closet somewhere?
Skull12 lowres.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Sanguine/Red Chalk drawing

Post by Mike Sibley »

LindasPencils wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:35 am Drawn from 'life' so to speak, as I own this skull. I mean, doesn't everyone have one in a closet somewhere?
Guilty. Got to admit it. :oops:

On a shelf in my studio - skulls of a rat, a crow, and an owl. And in my workshop at the "decomposing" stage, a Magpie, a gull, and a Curlew.

First, I'm happy to learn that I'm not as weird as I thought I might be.

And second, I'm greatly relieved... I thought Jerry was taking his support of your art a step too far :D :roll:

You've achieved a lovely result. Your artists are going to thoroughly enjoy this class!
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

I thought Jerry was taking his support of your art a step too far
lol, Well he has been on a bit of a diet. :D

thanks for your comment Mike.

and I also have a Wallaby skull and a blackbird skull... as well as nests and shells and bugs and butterfiles... and all sorts of stuff!

not weird at all! :mrgreen:

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Can I join this club? Nothing decomposing right now Mike, but a couple of ammonite fossils, a dinosaur foot imprint (about the size of a large dog's paw - looks just like a bird foot print!), piece of small Miocene era whale vertebrae, and 2 small Oreodon partial skulls (small herbivores with large canines probably closely related to goats or sheep but with heads that were more pig-like). :geek:

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Love your drawing Linda! One more style you've inspired me to try!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

LindasPencils wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:10 pm I also have a Wallaby skull and a blackbird skull... as well as nests and shells and bugs and butterflies... and all sorts of stuff!
and.....
Laurene wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:13 pm ...but a couple of ammonite fossils, a dinosaur foot imprint... piece of small Miocene era whale vertebrae, and 2 small Oreodon partial skulls (...closely related to goats or sheep)...
Oh!! Now I'm feeling right at home :D

In the studio, alongside the small skulls, I have two birds nests, an assortment of shells - including freshwater mussels from our beck (Yorkshire dialect for a stream), a lump of wood with a hole chewed through it by Chinchillas, another piece of wood with 1cm holes bored by a big marine worm, and...

A wide selection of three types of Oak Gall. It fascinates me how a tiny wasp can alter the DNA of an Oak so it builds a customised home for it out of an acorn.

A selection of rocks and crystals, because I've been interested in geology since my schooldays.

Likewise, a number of fossils. Nothing spectacular because my best stuff disappeared during a move many years ago. Just Crinoids, an Ammonite, imprints of leaves, the ripples of a sandy beach, some fronds that I can't identify, various shells...

The body of a huge "wasp" that is actually a harmless Giant Wood Wasp that I found drowned at our local garden centre.

A lovely old wooden door lock - probably 1800s - riddled with woodworm. That's bound to be in a video sometime soon. And a lovely big old key to go with it - although it's not the key to that lock.

Part of a green-glazed earthenware pottery handle from a medieval jug that I found in a local field - as verified by "The Doc", our good friend Chris who is an archaeologist.

And, outside in my workshop, where the decomposing bits are, I have a goat's skull and a sheep skull - both our own animals at some time. And a seagull's head somewhere. Oh, and a Magpie that I found dead in the field.

But also in there I have a four feet long length of oak that was being used a fence post. It has a very large mortice cut into it. Because, before it was a fence post it was part of the outbuildings of Mousefoot - a farm next door to us, the remains of which have recently been ploughed into oblivion.
And... drumroll please.......
Before that it sailed the seven seas as part of an old sailing ship. So much history in one piece of wood!

I think I'm just scratching the surface here.... I have, shall we say, an enquiring mind :roll:
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

:D Love it! Good to know I'm not the only geek in town ... meant in the nicest way possible of course!! :geek: :D

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Geeks Unite! I started a post over in the Lounge... show me a photo of your fav thing - I'd love to see that dinosaur footprint!