Grimm #18: Mother Holle

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
LindasPencils

Grimm #18: Mother Holle

Post by LindasPencils »

The final in the series of 18 works from Grimm Tales. I decided to end on a slightly more upbeat note (no skeletons or gory things). The tale of Mother Holle (or Frau Holle) is an old one and versions date far back into early European history. She lives in the clouds and when Mother Holle makes the bed, she shakes the feather pillows and feather bed out - the loose feathers spring free and fall to the earth as snow. This is still a common saying in parts of Europe - when it is snowing 'Mother Holle is shaking her pillows'.
Of course Grimm expanded on the tale, including a 'good' girl and a 'bad' girl. The Good Girl helps out and is rewarded by gold dropping from her mouth every time she speaks. The Bad Girl is cursed with toads jumping from her mouth!

And if anyone out there living locally to me wishes to view the entire collection, I have included here the invitation information for Blarney Books and Art in Port Fairly. 28 May to 29 June.
FrauHolli_dwm.jpg
DL invitation.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Grimm #18: Mother Holle

Post by Mike Sibley »

This is one Grimm tale that I've never heard of before. But your telling of the story makes that irrelevant.

I love those touches of colour! I never thought I'd see myself saying that... the fad for coloured eyes in graphite dog portraits many years ago spawned that. But you're one of the very few who can blend the two together perfectly.

The very best good fortune at the exhibition - you most certainly deserve it
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I’ve never heard of this one either but I love the imagery in your drawing. I wish I could see your exhibit in person. I can imagine the smiles on the people seeing this collection for the first time! Best of luck with it Linda!

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Thank you both. Port Fairy is about 3 hours out of Melbourne... so it is a touch 'out of the way' for an exhibition. But a great holiday spot on the ocean, beautiful area and the exhibition will be in a fantastic Bookshop come Art Gallery. I did this entire exhibition just for fun and to get a weekend away. Lol.
Mike, thanks for that comment - What I have been trying to achieve with these works is the feel you get from old hand-colored black and white photographs. You have to be careful not to splash on too much color or else it just looks odd.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I was following most of your drawings in this series Linda - not only your drawings are awesome, but the story tale is not exception!
Thank you for share 😊
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*