Little Owl

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
ElaineH

Little Owl

Post by ElaineH »

7864B113-AC80-4910-B2DB-1DDC5E490E33.jpeg
A4 sized drawing of Little Owl done on Conquerer diamond white paper. I have learned a lot from this study, and will certainly enjoy doing more birds in future. Maybe an owl in flight next time??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kwheller

Re: Little Owl

Post by kwheller »

I love your Little Owl! The detail looks great!

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Love, love, love!! Nothing more to say!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I love it! A few quick thoughts... despite being so high up, the eyes grab me immediately. That's possibly because the eyes contain the darkest values in the top half of the drawing. And the matching dark values below balance them and give the drawing bottom weight. No background where a background would simply cause confusion. Very clever use of the ivy to break up or hide the verticals of the post, that would otherwise be a huge distraction.

I almost forgot to mention those few well-chosen cast shadows within the Ivy. Excellent! They provide all the depth required. And omitting all the other shadows simply avoids confusion. Without the others, those few are subconsciously very powerful.

And I've saved the best until last... :) that single perfect ivy leaf at the left-hand side that obligingly guides my roving eye by pointing me to the Little Owl.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Aww, this is sweet. Very well drawn. Nothing to add to Mike's excellent critique except... feet? Where are the feet! These little guys have HUGE feet and I would have expected to see a few toes peeking over the edge of the stump ..small feet or lack of feet is one of my bugbears in bird drawings!
But the lack DOES NOT detract at all from this excellent drawing. no one except a pendantic feet fetish person like me would be bothered. Your feather work is brilliant. And as Mike says, that Ivy is to die for!

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Thank you for your comments. It is funny Mike and Linda, how you both liked the ivy - when I thought that was the weakest part of the drawing! As for the feet - or lack of! - I used a combination of around 6 reference images, none of which clearly showed the feet. However I completely get what you say, and will bear this in mind. if only I had previously been aware of your foot fetish!. Mike, I was so pleased to read your comments about the omission of some cast shadows and a background. I pondered for quite some time over a background so am happy to have made the right decision. This has been a good lesson in not trying to copy reference photos too closely - feather markings would have been a nightmare. And your favourite leaf began as a happy accident when I needed to cover eraser marks from a previous error.