Real time tutorials

Join a discussion, suggest suitable subjects, or ask Mike questions about the videos.
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Real time tutorials

Post by Mike Sibley »

Kym, I have a video that might help. It's a test video that I made before I began to film the Basic Technique series, so don't expect perfection :) Also, bear in mind that the video lights make the darks look much lighter than they were. Good contrast is often essential to a good result.

I'll post a link to it in its own post, but to save you time, here it is :
https://SibleyFineArt.com/videos_misc/H ... E-DEMO.mp4

This is the basic method of drawing a curving lock of hair. Once you are used to working this way, you can use or adapt it to draw many types of hair. The main thing to remember at all times is you draw the gaps or shadows between the hair, not the hair itself.

When you draw lines to represent hairs, you're drawing dark marks on a light background. That's the reverse of what naturally occurs.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

kymchambers

Post by kymchambers »

Mike:

I watched your videos on Divide and Conquer and watched you draw the nose. What grade pencil did you use to put in the texture on the nose in that video? You talked about using the HB and 2H for tone. Love seeing videos like this one where you draw. Very helpful. I'm going to draw this nose from your drawing. Do you have any videos on drawing eyes? That would be helpful.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

kymchambers wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:22 am I watched your videos on Divide and Conquer and watched you draw the nose. What grade pencil did you use to put in the texture on the nose in that video?
Hang on - I'll take a look :) Right - first, you should watch DIVIDE LINE AND TONE where I'm drawing a copy of that nose. All the line work is done with the sharp edge of a 2B. You'll see I keep rotating the point slightly - that's to move to fresh sharp edge. You could use HB with more pressure but I think 2B draws lines with sufficiently sharp edges.

The shading/shaping layer is HB. You could use 2B lightly but I find it looks too grainy. HB produces a smoother finish. I didn't use 2H but I would usually layer the whole nose lightly with 2H except where I wanted any white highlights to appear.

One thing you must bear in mind: my video lights make the drawing look lighter than it was. Right at the end (at about 13:16) I darkened it look more like the original. Blacks and strong darks matter, or the result will look flat.
Love seeing videos like this one where you draw. Very helpful. I'm going to draw this nose from your drawing. Do you have any videos on drawing eyes? That would be helpful.
Nothing on eyes yet - apart from one in GRAPHITE INDENTING. I'll be drawing a lot more in the videos. The next will complete the Basic Technique series, and then I'll be working on Intermediate Techniques, which introduces things like Negative Drawing, textures, the basic Hair techniques, shadows, and more.
Mike Sibley

kymchambers

Post by kymchambers »

Thank you for your reply. Very helpful. Can't wait to see more videos!!! I'm sure I will have more questions as I try to draw the nose.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

kymchambers wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:59 am Thank you for your reply. Very helpful. Can't wait to see more videos!!!
Bear with me but there will be a short delay. I'm currently working on two scripts and about to film one of them... However, I decided that if I'm going to make videos I want to make good videos :roll: ...

So, I've just purchased a Sennheiser MKH416 shotgun mic, and a decent set of Sennheiser studio headphones to go with the studio monitor speakers I already have. But now I've got to relearn what I learned when I was using the cheaper quality stuff :)

It'll be worth the wait eventually - honest! ;)
Mike Sibley