My own Butterflies

Take part in a Public Project. Download any references, guidelines, and instructions; post your results, or part-completed work if you need assistance; and join in the group fun!
rideum51

My own Butterflies

Post by rideum51 »

Stage one a 20210924_13231794.jpg
I am going to post as I go along. This is going to take much longer than the first Butterfly as I now know I have to slow down and start thinking
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rideum51

Re: My own Butterflies

Post by rideum51 »

My buterflies1a 20210927_14445578.jpg
Decided to try and make it my own. Comments Mike??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

rideum51 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:51 pm Stage one a 20210924_13231794.jpg
I am going to post as I go along. This is going to take much longer than the first Butterfly as I now know I have to slow down and start thinking
...and that, in my opinion, is the best approach. Not just the "slowing down" but the "thinking" too. Because slowing down gives you time to think.

And working only on one thing at a time helps too. Because you're not confusing your mind by working on multiple subjects.

Just make logical sense of each area as you draw it. That is "logical" to you. Keep your edges sharp (or you'll lose depth); create depth by including whatever you'd expect to see in the background; and consider the lighting direction at all times.

All that said, I think this is progressing remarkably well. I love the Monarch butterflies - but don't forget to dull the white markings on the shady side of each wing. You have the light shining from the right, so the viewer won't expect brilliant white to be visible on the shaded side. Oh, you can get away with that if It's really necessary - just suggest reflected light - but reflected light has already lost some of its strength, so brilliant white is not a viable option.

But, above all else, I can see this is working very well for you. Unlike your use of my world, this is your world and that difference really shows.

Apologies for this late reply. I'm feverishly working on the next video. I have a little filming to do this afternoon, and all 30 minutes of it should be ready for release next week.: SHADOWS AND LIGHT.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

rideum51

My Insectarium

Post by rideum51 »

my butterfly new2 20211006_14503673-001.jpg
Couldn't help just adding some friends. I must admit it was a lot of fun doing this exercise. Next time I will try to plan it all out in advance instead of wearing down my erasers.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

I love the addition of the 'friends'. And I think you did really well on this exercise. Also the small details like the spots on the upper right leaves enhance the believability of the work.

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Thanks Linda for you comment. I really hope that you and others will do this exercise as I would love to see what you do.