Learning the basics

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Peebee

Learning the basics

Post by Peebee »

Hello friends,

My first attempt of practising what I understand from Mikes teachings. I still need to practice and learn more . Would appreciate feedback and criticism.I know I have a lot to learn as yet.

Thank you .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Learning the basics

Post by Mike Sibley »

PRIYA-dog1.jpeg
Well, it has bags of character and life.

I think it just needs attention to detail. The little things that make a big difference to how the drawing is viewed.

For example, where the muzzle hair runs into the cheeks, they stop rather abruptly. I mean, they don't stop naturally. Hair naturally splits into many tiny hairs at the tip of each lock. Where the lack of those little flyaway hairs is most noticeable is where the hair overlaps the dark eyes. Try experimenting with a needle, or something similar (preferably round tipped). Use it to indent the paper before you shade the eyes. And use that indenting just for the tips of the hairs. That will add so much more realism and sharpness.
Shih-Tzu-INDENTING.jpg
The ends of some white locks are indented, and you can see it quite clearly in the shadows and wispy ends to the locks above the eyes. If I can draw a fine taper without indenting, I always will, but indenting often provides the tapers more easily.

You can learn more about indenting here: INDENTING - and watch the other two videos in sequence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Peebee

Post by Peebee »

Thank you Mike for that feedback ! I feel so motivated to go at it again . I did try indenting but was not happy with the results .maybe I was not tapering the indenting and the tool tip felt too thick . Will give it a try with the back on a needle. Thank you once again :)

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I use two tools: One is a darning needle/bodkin that has a rounded tip. I snapped off the eye, and it's mounted in an old clutch pencil.
The other is similar, but it is, or was, a sharp thin needle. I rounded the tip on an oil stone, so it doesn't tear the fibres of the paper. For the ends of hairs I use the second, thinner, one. The thick one is used for whiskers.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Peebee wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:39 am My first attempt of practising what I understand from Mikes teachinks.
I like your drawing very much.
Nicely done, with patience for sure, beautiful eyes with the soul showing through...
Very nice drawing to me 👍
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Peebee

Post by Peebee »

Thank you so much for the kind compliments. I’m back to drawing again after two years , blurred vision and lil unsteady hands but a lot of determination and encouragement from my fellow artist here .