Sepia Ink

EXHIBITION ONLY. Post your Coloured Pencil and Pastel drawings, or mixed media masterpieces here!

Moderator: ElaineH

LindasPencils

Sepia Ink

Post by LindasPencils »

As there isn't an 'ink' forum here, I think this should be posted here.

California Blue Oak
Using both Staedler Mars and Adel sepia coloured fineliner pens on 250gsm Lana Bristol smooth paper, I created this work as a demonstration piece for my Thursday night class.

Unfortunately, due to the Corvid 19 crisis all classes have been cancelled until further notice. However, I finished the work today and am posting it here for viewing.

I used the Adel sepia pen first, creating crosshatch build up that I then washed with water to create the toned background and clumps of the tree. I did this in two stages so I achieved two depths of tonal wash. The linework in the tree was then done as hatching and squiggles the Staedler pen to create depth and detail. The Staedler pen is just a touch darker and slightly more red. Not obvioulsy so, but I felt it made a difference. The linework in the sky, hills and shadow foreground was with the Adel pen, which is very slightly finer and browner tone.

I deliberately cropped the right side of the drawing as shown here as I felt it was a bit more interesting that way, bleeding off the page area. Cropped size is 35 x 24cm. I used combined references - sketches I did in California of trees, photos and internet images. So it is not any one particular tree, but a generic California Blue Oak. This oak Quercus doglasii is endemic to the hills, coastal ranges and foothills of the Sierra Nevada.
CA Blue Oak.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Sepia Ink

Post by Laurene »

Where are the heart emojis when you need them? I am a total pen and ink fan from way back. I started drawing in ink first, and them moved on to graphite with the occasional dabbling in other things like ink and watercolour wash. This is brilliant Linda! Love the way you suggested depth by creating that background using lines and cross hatching, yet you kept your ink lines organic for the tree. Wonderful!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:49 pm I am a total pen and ink fan from way back. I started drawing in ink first, and them moved on to graphite with the occasional dabbling in other things like ink and watercolour wash.
Utterly superbly superb! Like Laurene, I too began drawing with ink before coming to my senses and concentrating on graphite :roll: So I really appreciate the work and skill that went into this. The more I look at it the more I see in it.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

The more I look at it the more I see in it
... as long as you aren't seeing more peacocks Mike, thanks! :mrgreen:

and thank you Laureen too. I entered it into the Kennenth Jack Memorial Drawing prize - which has sadly been cancelled.

stay safe and healthy everyone.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

So much simplicity regarding the media involved, but the artwork is so rich indeed!
The tree itself is huge, and amazing , then it's you the artist who could compliment this art even more.
Thanks for share.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

brandonc

Post by brandonc »

This is beyond fabulous!!! I, too, started in ink. I love it by I've been away from all forms of art for so long, I don't trust myself to even try these days. This is just perfect.