Mouse

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
Mouse1015

Mouse

Post by Mouse1015 »

Since I am still learning graphite and very much a novice, although I am shy to share, I thought I'd post a recent colored pencil drawing I've done. :) The reason I am coming to graphite is because I found that I needed to learn more about light, values form and structure. and by learning graphite it can help me with my colored drawings also! :D
IMG_2266 8.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I wear many hats in my life but the one constant is my love for animals and being surrounded by the wonder of nature and earth's beauty. My art is central to my way of expressing my deep and abiding reverence for our Planet.

LindasPencils

Re: Mouse

Post by LindasPencils »

awww. This mouse is sweet, Mouse! You really nailed that eye. Lovely depth to it, and reflections.

On the whole this is a very nice drawing - nothing to be shy about here! A very creditable effort, but I think you could work on your tonal depths in the fur and shape of the mouse a bit more. Don't be frightened to push the dark tones a bit more. Colour pencil can be tricky when drawing fur. Keep the pencils very sharp (which is why I like the watercolor ones, they are harder and hold a point longer) and work into the negative. Remember, you are drawing the SHADOWS cast by the hairs, not the hairs themselves.

I bet Mike has a tutorial here somewhere about that. Colour pencil works the same as graphite with this - your darker hues become your darker tones.

But well done on this work. Very nice.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

First, I copied this into Photoshop and Photoshop is telling me your scan is light. So, I adjusted it to what Photoshop (and I) believe your original actually looks like (below left).

It's still on the pale side - everything is rather ethereal and semi-transparent - so I darkened it a little more.
MOUSE1015-Mouse.jpg
Then I discovered a very light hand and arm appearing beneath the chin. I think that's important to the story you're telling, so I darkened that to give it some solidity and presence. As a bonus, it now emphasises the bottom of the mouth, which pushes the arm back.

I think you have two problems:

At your stage you're almost certainly having to think about technique. Working out how to do something, rather than why you might want to. And that gets in the way. So, don't worry about that - just keep drawing and you'll soon learn all the basics and no longer have to think about them.

And you're probably looking at drawing in reverse - concentrating on the detail without asking yourself where that detail is. Try the other way round. Asks yourself why you want to draw it. What is it that you want to show to your audience? What is important to your story? How can you bring that story to life? Now you'll be working with a plan and reality foremost in your mind rather than the detail. You still need the detail, but you'll be aware of where it is - round the back in the shade, on top and in full light, and so on.

What missing from your drawing is light and shade, and it's those that describe three-dimensional form. Omit them, or pay them little attention, and your drawing will be perfectly detailed but flat - and probably a bit lifeless too.

And don't forget the props :) Those ears of wheat, or whatever they are, could do with some light and shade too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Tim8031

Post by Tim8031 »

I agree great drawing. Just needs to get darker and less transparent. Keep working on contrast to build depth and form. Your well on your way. Keep at it. TimD

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Mike's adjustment shows us how good this drawing really is! I find that I look at my reference a lot when I begin a drawing - no choice really - but towards the end I put the reference aside and adjust shadows and highlights according to where I believe they should be. Photos often can't show us the richness of lights and darks that exist in real life.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mice are such incredible animals, I like the way you did focus to bring up all those little face details...
This forum is great place to listen to experienced artists, which will lead us to improvements 👍
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*